#1 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

It seems the search function has been unable to locate any threads of this nature so...

Go ahead and post up your first experance with 16mm :) ...

#2 Sam Javor

Sam Javor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

I'm getting ready for mine...

well... actualy I'm getting ready for my first paid video gig ...but AFTER THAT...

I stumbled upon an Arri 16S kit for $70 at a flea market two weeks ago (5 lenses, 2 ext mags,2 cases, and 'stuff') ... I'm even relativly sure it's not stolen! :) So I'm going to be doing a short and then I've been essentially 'told' to do a crapload of G rated family movies.

...actually my dad found the camera in a "pile-o-tools." The vendor was so focused on tools he must have origionally bought it as an unopened toolbox...

#3 stoop

stoop
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

http://www.cinematog...st time on 16mm

#4 Christopher Schneider

Christopher Schneider
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

My first time was on a K3 shooting focus tests, high speed tests and filter tests. A week later I shot a Batman short on 16mm, a jokey one, not at all serious. It was great, the look and feel of the film was spectacular, that's almost 6 years ago. Dang.

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

My first time exposing 16mm film was with a K3 in the ski fields of Australia in winter. I shot 100 feet of Ektachrome 7240 which is now discontinued. I brought along my Canon T70 slr to use as a light meter. I mainly filmed skiing and snowboarding and I am pleased at how the camera performed. Footage was very smooth and steady and my exposures were spot on.

#6 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

Patrick you wouldnt happen to have that footy on your computer would you? :D

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

I had been shooting Super-8 reversal for about a decade when I got asked to shoot a karaoke music video in Super-8 b&w reversal by someone who had seen one of my Super-8 b&w short films. That turned out well but when they asked me to shoot and direct another one, I asked if I could shoot it in 16mm instead (which was usually the format that the other karaoke videos that this young producer was using at the time, in 1996.)

They agreed, so I ran over to Birns & Sawyer and asked them to show me how to load the Arri-S we were renting. I shot the video on 16mm Plus-X b&w reversal because I was used to lighting for that stock in Super-8. It turned out great -- in fact, it almost looked like I had shot it in 35mm, it was so sharp and fine-grained.

#8 Jan Weis

Jan Weis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Student
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Interesting David, it seems like not long ago you were an amateur filmmaker. If you ever find the time (with your busy schedual and all) it would be neat if you could post a few stills or even better footage from your early work.

/Jan

#9 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

Interesting David, it seems like not long ago you were an amateur filmmaker. If you ever find the time (with your busy schedual and all) it would be neat if you could post a few stills or even better footage from your early work.

/Jan

indded.

#10 Jan Weis

Jan Weis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Student
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

I forgot to tell about my first experiance with 16mm film. Well here's my story.

It was about 8 months. I shot some tests using 7231 Plus-x film on a Arri S, It was
a horrible experiance to tell you the truth; the arri kept och jamming the film (if I did
not finish shooting the same roll on the same day). I kept on worrying about the exposure
to the point that I became so paranoid that my footage would turn out unusable. But most
of it turn out fine. It was an experiance that caused a lot of sleepless nights but in the end
it was definately worth it; infact it even improved my temper.

So dont be afraid of bad experiances, you'll learn from them.

/Jan

#11 Eric Dinger

Eric Dinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

My first experience with 16mm was with my filmo. I didn't know how much light I could expose the daylight reels to so I went into my bathroom which was quite dark. Well I'd never loaded anything but a super 8 before so I was in a little over my head, I fought with getting the loops right, but it all ended fine. Then I went out at night to film some neon signs. It was nice because I didn't have to worry about exposure. Just open it up and I'd get what I'd get. It all came out fine, I was thrilled to see it projected.

#12 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

I stumbled upon an Arri 16S kit for $70 at a flea market two weeks ago (5 lenses, 2 ext mags,2 cases, and 'stuff') ... I'm even relativly sure it's not stolen! :) So I'm going to be doing a short and then I've been essentially 'told' to do a crapload of G rated family movies.

...actually my dad found the camera in a "pile-o-tools." The vendor was so focused on tools he must have origionally bought it as an unopened toolbox...

WOW, does it work?

even if not, the parts alone cost more than $70! congrats

#13 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

Ok, I posted this about a month ago, and didn't want to retype everything, but its a detailed account of my first experience. Also there are some frame grabs.

If you check out the post, leave some feedback on it if you can, either on this thread or that one.

My first 16mm experience

#14 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

In early 2001 I purchased a Bell and Howell projector for $5 at a thrift store. I check out a few 16mm movies from my state library and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I knew how to take pictures and had an understanding of photography so in 2002 I purchased a K-3. It was a scew thread mount and I specified a bayonet mount, also the main sproket was missing a tooth so I sent it back and the seller sent me another. I purchased a 100' roll from Forde labs (with prepaid processing) and I talked my wife, Kim, and our friend, Leyla, to drive out to one of our favorite target shooting spots to shoot a some moving pictures. On our drive to the location we came up with a basic idea of a fictional story.

Here is that first attempt at shooting 16mm as a real media file:
http://owyheesound.c.....restle dsl.rm

I know it is bad but it was my first time.

The image registration and chattering problem was due, I have learned since, to the missing film guide so tension on the sproket side of the film pulled too hard so the loop length was lost.

#15 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:36 PM

"Patrick you wouldnt happen to have that footy on your computer would you?"

Unfortunately not. It only exists on celluloid. Plus there wouldn't really be enough footage from that 100 feet of film to make a proper edit.

#16 Sam Javor

Sam Javor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

WOW, does it work?

even if not, the parts alone cost more than $70! congrats

I hooked a 12V motor cycle battery to it because 8V batteries are hard to come by here (apparently golf carts use them though) but yeah, the motor spins, the external mag motor spins ...theres some dings on the edges of the lenses but the glass is still good, it holds its RPMs well (didn't run it very long because of the extra voltage) and I'm really looking forward to running some film though it once I get this video project out of the way this weekend. All in all it was actually fairly clean.

Buying it was sort of funny, my dad just said "Hey sam did you look at this?"
I walked over and saw the case marked "Antique Camera $40" saw "Arri" and about died... then I noticed the other box marked "Camera Parts $30" which was the external mags and a 100mm lens and I calmly checked my wallet and found $20...where I asked my dad if I could borrow $50.
He pulls out a $100 ...and I as calmly as I could told the vendor I'd take both...
I could bairly wait through him giving me the change...
I quickly stuff the change in my pocket and beeline to the door...
I get back to the car and my dad asks what I 'haggled him down to'
I laughed.

#17 Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Galen Carter-Jeffrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

Mine was a disaster. I used a K3 and made the loops too tight. The whole movie was like a giant blur, it was terrible :(

Nobody ever told me about creating loops.

#18 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Nobody ever told me about creating loops.

At least you won't make that mistake again. Hey, nobody told me I had to keep my eye against the eyepiece while rolling -- I learned that the hard way as well... luckily my first two 16mm projects were indoors at night, wasn't until I did some day exterior work that I noticed a problem with not keeping my eye to the viewfinder.

#19 Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Galen Carter-Jeffrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

At least you won't make that mistake again. Hey, nobody told me I had to keep my eye against the eyepiece while rolling -- I learned that the hard way as well... luckily my first two 16mm projects were indoors at night, wasn't until I did some day exterior work that I noticed a problem with not keeping my eye to the viewfinder.

How bad does it ruin the film?

#20 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

A few of you have probably heard this before, but what the heck. A number of years ago I picked up a Bolex EBM from a guy who was the camera tech at a large university in Illinois. He assured me the camera was in great shape. It looked good, but being the anal guy that I am, I wanted to be sure. Sent it to a camera house on the east coast (who will remain nameless) who CLA'd the camera and sent it back. Did a short test with a 100 ft roll, things looked great. Thought I was all set. Wanted to shoot sync sound((with a Bolex, I know, what an idiot), and this was against the wise advice of Mitch Gross and others) so I got a brand new crystal sync from Clive Tobin, and five 400 ft rolls of new Kodak stock.

Cast a wonderful group of actors, and had a really great crew, and we shot all 2000 ft of a short romantic drama. Sent the film off to be processed and on to another house for telecine. Got the reels and the tape back and was horrified. There was something wrong with the camera (so much for the CLA) and the shutter was bouncing intermittently when the sync was hooked up (later found the cause was severely worn shutter drive gears). All the footage was unusable as it was flickering (going bright and dark) through the whole 2000 feet.

A very expensive lesson.

But even though what I imagined was not what came out, it was truly thrilling shooting film, probably 'cause I'm an old romantic guy and it just feels right, it feels like the way movies should be made. And reminded me of making regular 8mm movies back in the early 1970's with a wind up Kodak dual eight movie camera.

There is nothing that feels as good.

Just my 2ยข worth,
-Tim

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery