3 replies to this topic

#1 thomas-english

thomas-english
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

I have been finding that I have to do a lot of asking when I go into the grading suite. As a result I really feel I ought to learn as much as possible about this black art so I can get what I want when I go in to the 250 / hour dark room. I know it s a world of dark arts and secretive techniques. Is there any books I should read? Are there any URL s that could get me to speed? I want to mess about grading my own stuff on color finness 2 or similar so I can play with looks I want at a later date.

Thanks for all your time

Thomas

#2 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

I know it s a world of dark arts and secretive techniques. Is there any books I should read? Are there any URL s that could get me to speed?

There is no "dark art" and there are no "secretive techniques." There is only talent and experience, as in anything else.

If you want a good source, try Steve Hullfish's book, "Color Correction for Digital Video."

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:20 AM

I have been finding that I have to do a lot of asking when I go into the grading suite. As a result I really feel I ought to learn as much as possible about this black art so I can get what I want when I go in to the 250 / hour dark room. I know it s a world of dark arts and secretive techniques. Is there any books I should read? Are there any URL s that could get me to speed? I want to mess about grading my own stuff on color finness 2 or similar so I can play with looks I want at a later date.
Thanks for all your time
Thomas

Yes and No.

One way to feel confident about your choices would be owning an actual waveform and vectorscope and also a CRT monitor. Then watch your scopes when it is being fed a signal, even if it's off of cable TV or direct TV. Assuming you know how to accurately calibrate a television monitor you will learn relatively quickly what is what.

#4 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:54 AM

There is no "dark art" and there are no "secretive techniques." There is only talent and experience, as in anything else.

If you want a good source, try Steve Hullfish's book, "Color Correction for Digital Video."

I don't know about you but I sacrifice a small animal before every sit in session and I only use fresh holy water to clean the panels on the Copernicus.

-Rob-

BTW Check out ScopeBox for the mac (scopebox.com) the current release is good but the upcoming scopes (I'm alpha testing) are really great even when compared to a set of nice Tek's good way to get a set of scopes.

-Rob-

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Glidecam