#1 AO Photo

AO Photo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

My sister picked this up at an estate sale. (she's a full time E-bayer) She asked if I wanted it, I said sure why not.

The bulb is 1000w. If you grab the knob where the power cord is, you can slide it in and out. I assume it is for "shaping" the light. Anybody know what this light is for and who it is made by? My guess is that it is more for video than still.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

Looks to be an old studio still photo lamp. The Mogul base socket, the wide flat reflector dish, two pins that may have held a secondary reflector or a diffuser. Might not be the correct bulb either. Unless someone recognises the M A Co logo, its make will probably remain a mystery. Nice curiosity piece.

#3 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

That's a funky looking light! - a bit like a skypan but obviously not... You'll need to get or make the 2ndry reflector, but I reckon that could be a useful fixture...

#4 Marc Roessler

Marc Roessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

What kind of light does it produce? (Yes soft of course. ;) ) Is it somewhat comparable to a beauty dish?

Greetings,
Marc

#5 freddie bonfanti

freddie bonfanti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Gaffer
  • LONDON

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

looks cool. make sure you get it PAT tested properly before you use it on set...if its old there may be dodgy connections and wiring...

also, the fact that there isnt a protection for the bubble is a bit scary, if it pops the glass may shatter all over the place

#6 YULLE99

YULLE99

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Electrician
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:13 AM

I have never seen one of these before. I believe it is a beauty dish, which is different from a regular wide reflector in that they didn't shine hard light on the talent, only reflected light. The two rods probably held a reflector to bounce the light back into the dish. I am going to try to put in a photo of a modern example of this light (for strobes).

The bulb in your picture (at 120 volts) is intended for the U.S. market, if that helps identify it. Bulbtronics & Mole Richardson has bulbs for this light (500 watts & 1000 watts), it has a 'Mogul screw' base. Daylight & tungsten color balance. If you are going to use the light at all, rewire it with a cable that grounds the light as well as powers it. For safety. Search 'rewiring lamps' here or on Google for info.

If you want to use household bulbs in it, you can buy a 'Mogul screw to Edison' adapter or insert from some hardware stores; usually hardware stores that cater to people with older houses that still have 'Mogul screw' base fixtures in them. 'B&B Hardware' in Culver City has them in my area.

If you want softer light from it, just put some Rosco 'Tough Spun' over it the reflector; some powerful magnets (prettier that using clothespins) will hold it in place, unless the reflector is aluminum. Tough Spun is made from spun glass & won't melt. The same kind of diffusion as Rosco Tough Spun is available from the bottom of your box spring mattress for free. It is used there to keep the bugs out from down there.

So back to the light. How many inches wide & deep is the relector ? What is it made out of ? How high does the stand go up ?
I wonder if it was employed at a cosmetics counter in some high end department store.

beauty_dish_Med_1.jpg

41dDsDBsKpL._SL500_AA280_.jpg 3444462515_30901a207d_m.jpg

Attached Images

• 141164.jpg
  • 1024206.jpg

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider