#1 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

Hey guys, so I bought a new DV Camera (Panasonic PV-GS39) and a firewire cable to transfer the video to my computer for editing. I have Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, and I tried to use the Capture feature today, except I get the error "Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera".

I found a nice list of ways to troubleshoot this problem on the Adobe website, and I did everything I could so far and still no luck. It told me to change the settings on my Camera from Type 1 to Type 2 AVI for Premiere Pro. I searched Panasonics website, my manual and the web and couldn't find anything of any use.

So here I am, is this a common error? I've uninstalled any video and audio codecs I could find in my Add/Remove programs window, and I uninstalled DivX to see if that could be a problem, but it wasn't.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Any ideas on how I can change from Type 1 to Type 2?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

> "Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera".

Do other devices work on your firewire port? If not, which is probably the case as most firewire ports are only ever used for video, then you can check if the operating system is seeing the camera. In Windows XP, you usually get the chime sound and a popup box asking what you want to do when you plug a camera in, which is another clue the operating system has seen it, but try this:

- Hit "start" then "run"
- type "devmgmt.msc" into the box and OK it

Look for an entry called "imaging devices" containing something like "Panasonic DV Video Device" or "1394 DV Camcorder" or something of the sort. If Imaging Devices isn't there, that's because there aren't any such devices on the system, which may be the case if you don't have a scanner or webcam or something of that sort installed.

In either case, if you don't see anything promising (and you can check it's the right thing by unplugging the camera and see if it goes away) then you have either a setup problem with windows, or a hardware or cabling problem with either the camera or the PC. Try a different firewire cable, check the camera is set to have its firewire port activated, try the camera on another PC and try another camera on this PC to isolate the fault. Try another firewire port on the same PC, if there is one.

If this doesn't help, you can go into your PC's BIOS (hit DEL when prompted on startup) and look around for options related to turning on the 1394 or firewire port, although I doubt this will be it.

If you do see your camera under "imaging devices", then you have a setup problem in Premiere, but the default is usually OK. Try reinstalling Premiere. You could also try reinstalling windows if you get really stuck.

> It told me to change the settings on my Camera from Type 1 to Type 2 AVI for Premiere Pro.

You're looking at the wrong thing. AVI types have nothing to do with the camera - that stuff is all tied up with the way Premiere writes the captured video to disk. The camera neither knows nor cares. Premiere Pro supports either type, but Type 2 is more efficient. Forget that stuff - it's nothing to do with your problem.

> So here I am, is this a common error? I've uninstalled any video and audio codecs I could find in my
> Add/Remove programs window, and I uninstalled DivX to see if that could be a problem, but it wasn't.

No, that won't stop Premiere seeing the camera.

Phil

#3 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:08 AM

It does see the device, and when I try to hit play I get the Cannot Activate message.

#4 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

I can play it if I double click on the USB option in My Computer, and it plays fine. Yet when I try to use Premieres Capture feature, it gives me the error.

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera