#1 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...p;rd=1&rd=1

I saw this camera before and when the auction ended, it was about 5 grand.

Can sellers just retract all bids and relist an item because they are not happy with the bid ending price?

looks like a nice camera, i'd might pay 5G for that in a year when I save enough for a decent 16mm.

what do you guys think?

#2 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Can sellers just retract all bids and relist an item because they are not happy with the bid ending price?

looks like a nice camera, i'd might pay 5G for that in a year when I save enough for a decent 16mm.

what do you guys think?

If that happens it's prob a Scam.

The only way you should see that Item Again is if it is a re-list with a non-paying bidder.
Any other reason for it shoud immediately say "STAY AWAY"

The sellers account could have been "hijacked" and the same thing may have been relisted.

You know it makes me think. With only about 3,000 items on average most of which are fairly cheap,
why is Camerase -> Movie category getting slammed with scams so much?...

Makes me wonder if it is just done to destroy eBay as a fair market for these goods.

Scam artists cannot be THAT DAFT as to rake the same category over and over and over and over again...
Well you get my point...

There are so many more things you can ride a $5,000 listing on, more so that a unique, serial number identified, small quantity item like a Movie Camera.

Yeah, so the only reason you should see this camera up for grabs again is if the original winner did not pay, and the seller should be pretty upset about it with some limit on bids usually -- like "If you have zero feedback, I'll cancel you bid" type stuff.

My 2 cents.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

what do you guys think?

Different strokes for different folks.

It is not Super 16, and I am not a fan of any of those lenses.

I had to laugh, what exactly is a "speed calibration test"? I have never had an issue with an Arriflex 16SR not holding sync at 24 fps.

Also got a chuckle out of the statement that the package included a "Camera Light (for shooting in the dark)". I don't have nearly the experience as some of the cinematographers on this forum, but I've always had a difficult time getting proper exposure when I'm "shooting in the dark", even with 7218.

Seems like an overpriced package, sold by someone who doesn't really know much about motion picture camera packages.

-Tim

#4 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:45 AM

is it really hard to find a nice 16mm package these days?

I wonder if there is a reputable seller that sells SR1's regularly, maybe even from Arri. I know when the time comes to buy a decent 16mm camera, it doesn't sound like ebay is the place to get one. I don't know what I would do if I saved up for a year for a camera, and bought somthing that was broken or not as specified.

any ideas?

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:59 AM

is it really hard to find a nice 16mm package these days?

I wonder if there is a reputable seller that sells SR1's regularly, maybe even from Arri. I know when the time comes to buy a decent 16mm camera, it doesn't sound like ebay is the place to get one. I don't know what I would do if I saved up for a year for a camera, and bought somthing that was broken or not as specified.

any ideas?

Visual Products

#6 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

Visual Products

Wow... thank you so much for posting that, I will never buy anything off of ebay after seeing that store.

I've been looking for somthing like this for ages.

My first official debute project will be a short musical presentation exploring the canadian arctic and northern communities, ways of life and cultures. This will be a great test run as it will be my first experience working with real motion picture film. I'm gonna try and go straight to 35mm film for this.

Now I get the fun duty of researching 35mm cameras. fun fun.

thanks again for the great info here.

#7 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

If similar topic about a Super-8 camera on e-Bay had posted by me on the Super-8 forum, Brad Grimmet would have reported it to Tim who would have then deleted it, as happened last night on the Super-8 forum.

CineLab

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineTape