1 reply to this topic

#1 Evan Ferrario

Evan Ferrario
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

I have a few questions about 16mm workflow. I have never worked with 16mm before and I am filming a short film on 16mm in a few weeks. I wanted to get a final cut of the film on 16mm. If I have money later, I wanted to transfer the final 16mm cut to HD.

Is getting a final copy of a film on 16mm exspensive. As I believe it works, I send the film to the processing house, they make a cheap dv copy, I make an edit list and send it to them and they cut the film. Could anyone who has done this process let me know the details.

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

You need to get a TK done with burnt-in Keykode and Lab Roll, at the least. Then you need to log your Keykode numbers when importing the video copy (and this requires editing software that can handle it). Cut your film and export the EDL or ALE file, which you send to a negative cutter along with all of your negative. The neg cutter will actually be the one to cut it together, and then you get an answer print made of that.

The neg cutter will charge by the hour, though, and it's not cheap. And this is before the costs of a married (ie with optical sound) answer print. There's also really no point to getting a 16mm print, as virtually no one can screen them anymore - if you're going to bother to go back to film, you might as well do the 35mm blowup route.

However, if you want to cut the neg to get to an HD copy of that, I would HIGHLY advise against that. There is absolutely no point - the print's quality is far less than the original negative which you're planning to TK anyway. The smarter thing would be to simply TK to whatever HD format you want, while getting a clone of that on miniDV for your offline edit. Or failing that, TK to miniDV, then use your EDL to re-transfer the selected footage to an HD format for an online conform (although IIRC that option usually is more expensive, since you're TK'ing twice - cheaper to do it once and pay a bit extra for the clone).

CineTape

Opal

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

The Slider