Auricon Pro 600 Microphone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

The microphone that came with my Auricon Pro 600 does not work.
Can it be fixed?
Can I get one that does work.
It looks great as a prop. I use a Radio Shack 33-3018 OPTIMUS Dynamic mic instead with 1/4" adapters to XLR and that all works.

Michael Carter

#2 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

mic_E_6_tiny.jpg It is a XLR type with a huge long cord.

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

If I bought a new XLR microphone, which one should I get?

Michael Carter

#4 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

You may or may not be able to get the auricon mic fixed. It depends on what is wrong with it. If the voice coil is shorted or broken, or if the diaphram is broken or disintigrated you are out of luck. But it might just be a bad connection in the jack or something.

However, I would recomend new(er) dynamic mic with a cardiod pickup pattern. Specifically I would recoment a shure SM57 or a SM58 to replace the auricon mic.

You could go all "BIG MOVIE" and get a condensor shotgun mic but you would have to get one that either takes internall batteries or get a seperate phantom power adaptor. Condesor mic tend to sound more brittle than dynamic mics anyway, which I don't thinks is in the spirit of optical sound.

An SM57 is a great all purpose mic. It is tuff, you can drop it many times, use it in excessive wind, spill beer on it, step on it and through it at misbehaving talent and it will still work. This is a mic that is generally safe to buy used. You can get them at pawn shops or used music equipment retailers. If you get one used you should not pay more than $90 for it and make sure you plug it in and try it out before you buy.

#5 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

But it might just be a bad connection in the jack or something.

I had to take apart what I could and I found a detached wire in the cable. My brother in law is going to visit and I'll ask him to bring his solder gun and steady hand kit as he is an electronics guy.

I went to the local huge music drum store, they have pro audio stuff, and bought a Sennheiser e835 and it is also a cardioid. I got lucky I guess. It works! It sounds way different! It'll be fun recording some base to voices, what can get onto the optical film that is. It even picks up the click click of the camera on idle with the gain up a lot.

I don't know if they have the one you wrote of. I'll ask next visit. It looks like THE place to shop for audio gear.

Michael Carter

BTW, that NR-25 amp has a high impedance plug that a radio mic is supposed to work in. I use the other plug for the dynamic mics. The high-impedance is also for phono. Would that be the plug to use with a mic that has self contained power as in a condenser mic?

Michael Carter

#6 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

Sennheiser makes good stuff. You may already know, and if you do I am sorry but this is often confusing (this is one of the first things I bring up in my intro audio class) Cardioid, Hypercardiodi, Omni, (and in a similar way Shotgun which is a Hypercardiod or supercardioid) are all pickup pattern types. Dynamic and Condensor are transducer element types. Dynamic mics and Condensor mics can come in any of the pick-up patterns. They are rare (and old) but you can get dynamic supercardiod shotgun type mics. They sound a little weird but they are out there for vintage nutts. And Cardioid just refers to the heart shaped pick-up pattern infront of the mic. Imagine if you put a over the cut out of a heart shape with the mic pointing towards the point of the heart...this is a cardiod pattern, were the mic hasequal sensitivity in this shape. Anyway....

I updated my Auricon page with the info you so generously provided me. Thank you again. Here is a link:
http://owyheesound.c...ricon_16mm.html

#7 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:00 PM

I updated my Auricon page with the info you so generously provided me. Thank you again. Here is a link:
http://owyheesound.c...ricon_16mm.html

Thank you for posting all that.

I just wanted to say that I finally got the old Auricon E-6 Mic to work. The plug in the mic end, the nonstandard XLR had a loose connection deep inside the plug. It is a very tricky little bugger to solder and get to work. Pictures were posted on the Auricon web site:

Auricon web site photo page of my michrophone

Michael Carter

Visual Products

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post