Photo

Car mounts for the HVX with 35 adapter...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rob.m.Neilson

Rob.m.Neilson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

Anyone have any success stories using a carmount with the HVX and the M2? Im really afraid of using the sticky pod and Im trying to not have to build a DIY rig.

Any info would be a huuuge help!

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

Anyone have any success stories using a carmount with the HVX and the M2? Im really afraid of using the sticky pod and Im trying to not have to build a DIY rig.

Any info would be a huuuge help!

Which carmount do you mean? Hostess tray or hoodmount (or other)? In any case, I think vibration could be your enemy. Under perfectly stable conditions the M2 is prone to physical misalignment and image wobble or shake from the groundglass.

The more I see from these adapters the more I'm convinced that they're a "specialty lens" setup, best used for only those shots where you really need the shallow dof. If you don't have to have a super-buzzed BG, don't use the adapter for that shot and save yourself the grief. You're going to have to color-correct your contrast/shading anyway.

Just my $.02

#3 Rob.m.Neilson

Rob.m.Neilson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

Which carmount do you mean? Hostess tray or hoodmount (or other)? In any case, I think vibration could be your enemy. Under perfectly stable conditions the M2 is prone to physical misalignment and image wobble or shake from the groundglass.

The more I see from these adapters the more I'm convinced that they're a "specialty lens" setup, best used for only those shots where you really need the shallow dof. If you don't have to have a super-buzzed BG, don't use the adapter for that shot and save yourself the grief. You're going to have to color-correct your contrast/shading anyway.

Just my $.02

I think that makes the most sense...I was going to go pretty wide with the hood mount shots anyway. I also spoke to a guy who will cut me a deal and rent me his HVX plus a small HD camera that I could easily use in the hood mount...

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

A stickypod is way too weak even for an HVX200 on its own. You need something beefier, such as a Panther Multi-Mount. I wouldn't use any 35 adapter that uses a spinning or "jiggling" groundglass. You're better off using a MOVIEtube LT which has no moving parts. Of course I'm partial because we represent these fine devices, but then again there's a reason we do that! If you're interested in renting feel free to contact me.

#5 cf64inc

cf64inc
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

Had great success using a car mount rented from Abel Cine Tech. Mounted it on the hood in less than an half hour, saran wrapped the camera, and drove it around New Yrok City.

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Tai Audio