#1 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Just curious is it E100G or the saturated version (wasE100VS last time I checked, but it might be E100GX or G something now). I'm considering shooting with some, but I want a stock that looks more like video news film than like Velvia 50. In other words, I don't want cotton candy carnival colors, I want more of a cold, perhaps slightly gritty look.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

Don't know the still camera equivalent but it is definitely clean and saturated, not quite as over the top as Velvia but in that ballpark. Can't think of any VNF equivalent available now. Perhaps if you could get Kodak to put the E64T / E160T / E320T tungsten slide stocks onto camera rolls -- they aren't too saturated.

You may be better off using color negative if you want grittiness. Probably the grainiest stock on the market now is Fuji F-500D Reala. In fact, I asked Fuji when they were going to release the improved "Eterna" version and they said that many DP's (including Janusz Kaminski) have begged them to not improve it because they want the option of one grainy stock left on the market.

#3 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'm pretty sure 52/7285 is essentially E100VS

-Sam

#4 Daniel Henriquez Ilic

Daniel Henriquez Ilic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Other
  • Santiago, Chile

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

I believe that 5285 stock is in fact EPP 100D.

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

I'm pretty sure 52/7285 is essentially E100VS
-Sam

Yes, John Pytlak described them as being "very similar". I had looked at the technical data for E100VS and 5285 on Kodak's website and couldn't see any difference between the two so I emailed John and he confirmed my impression. I shot a couple of rolls of E100VS at Precious Moments in Carthage, MO and was real pleased with the results.

#6 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Wasn't E100VS discontinued though?

Sorry for the late reply here. Thanks for all of the helpful posts everyone.

I'm actually going for a reversal film look, E6, not like an old, low-con VNF look, though that is definitely a look I like sometimes.

#7 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Wasn't E100VS discontinued though?

Once a still film is reformulated and optiimized for motion picture use, it becomes part of the motion picture lineup, and its business case is determined by motion picture.

#8 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

Once a still film is reformulated and optiimized for motion picture use, it becomes part of the motion picture lineup, and its business case is determined by motion picture.

So E100VS continues to be manufactured by MP Entertainment Imaging even when it is discontinued (and replaced) in the still photography division? I think the designation is E100GX for the replacement, though I don't shoot slides enough to be certain. I'm surprised there is enough demand to make that feasible from a business standpoint.

Oh, and hope you're feeling better. I've seen that your latest round of chemo hasn't gone so great. Hang in there! I honestly don't know what this forum'd do without you Mr. Pytlak.

~Karl

#9 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

So E100VS continues to be manufactured by MP Entertainment Imaging even when it is discontinued (and replaced) in the still photography division? I think the designation is E100GX for the replacement, though I don't shoot slides enough to be certain. I'm surprised there is enough demand to make that feasible from a business standpoint.

Oh, and hope you're feeling better. I've seen that your latest round of chemo hasn't gone so great. Hang in there! I honestly don't know what this forum'd do without you Mr. Pytlak.

~Karl

AFAIK, the E100VS continues as a professional still film:

http://www.kodak.com...a....20.5&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com...00vs/ppi591.pdf

#10 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

AFAIK, the E100VS continues as a professional still film:

http://www.kodak.com...a....20.5&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com...00vs/ppi591.pdf

You know you're right. I must've mixed VS up with the predecessor to GX, SW. Thanks for solving that "caper". I was bewildered by the persistance of a film derived from a discontinued still stock.

Regards,

~Karl Borowski

Technodolly

Opal

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks