• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

So I picked up one of these giant 1200 foot Mitchell mags for my CP-16R, and I'm thinking of buying 1200 footers to shoot.
The benefits I can see are obvious; good price for film stock, and 33 minute worth of shooting (& edited footge!) without interruption to reload, or interrupt a good take.

Has anyone here shot with these, and are there any drawbacks?

MP

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

The main drawback most likely is going to be that you're probably going to have to do a special order in order to get 1200' loads, which means minimum orders. The only other problem that I can see, which really is specific to lower-budget productions, is that when the loads tend to be longer, people often begin to lose track of how much film they actually have left, and just keep popping off more and more and then suddenly realize that they only have so much film left for the entirety of the shoot.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly good situations where loading less is highly desireable, but in all honesty, how often does one find that 400' mags just aren't good enough?

Just another thing to note - looking at the official Kodak catalog, they only offer 1200' for 7217 (V2 200T) with 1 perf. Minimum order is 8 rolls. If you don't mind 2-perf, then you can also get 7218 (V2 500T), again 8 rolls or more. Otherwise, it's 800' rolls, which most of the other emulsions offer.

That all being said, with a sufficient order, I'm certain anything is possible.

#3 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

Just another thing to note - looking at the official Kodak catalog, they only offer 1200' for 7217 (V2 200T) with 1 perf. Minimum order is 8 rolls. If you don't mind 2-perf, then you can also get 7218 (V2 500T), again 8 rolls or more. Otherwise, it's 800' rolls, which most of the other emulsions offer.

That all being said, with a sufficient order, I'm certain anything is possible.

I would stick to 800' mag loads, 1200' watch for dishing!! loading's going to be a hassle and the minimum order will cost you a decent used car... :P

-Rob-

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Glidecam