#1 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:06 AM

I'm looking for any experiences with using DP lights and omni lights with chimeras.
Also who makes good chimera/speed ring assemblies for these lights.
Is heat too much of an issue for this to be practical?

#2 Don Bachmeier

Don Bachmeier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:00 AM

While it is done all the time, you should know that the constant friction tilst on the Omni and DP were not intended to support the offset weight and will have to be tightened so they don't droop.

The Omni and Tota is very commonly used with XS and S sized Chimeras for news work. Chimera makes speed rings for just about any light you might imagine and I've adapted some speed rings for lights they weren't intended for.

I have seen people modify the speed ring with an umbrella adaptor (the Manfrotto one Chimera uses for the Tota speed ring) or a 5/8" studd to take the stress off the tilt mechanism of the light. It seems to be a more stable setup but I don't know how Chimera feels about it.

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:10 AM

DP lights as well?

#4 Don Bachmeier

Don Bachmeier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

The tilt on the DP is a little stronger so it might take a Medium Chimera but have a small wrench handy. A Chimera medium is a good sized box so there isn't much tilt before it hits the stand anyway.

The speed ring modifaction I mentioned was with a Chimera DP speed ring. I didn't personaly do it, I saw someone else's. He used the 5/8" stud and used it with a C-stand grip head.

Be careful to not use the DP focused to spot. Could be rough on the inside diffusion panel. Especially on the Video Pro series.

You might consider a deeper bank than the Video Pro Plus line for the DP to be sure the diffusor is evenly covered. I think the next size up (depth wise) is the Quartz line. Consult chimeralighting.com for specifics or shoot them an email or a phone call, they're good people.

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

The Slider

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets