#1 Stephen Whitehead

Stephen Whitehead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Okay, here is the deal. I got some footage back that I shot on a BL2. Now in a few shots (Only a few thankfully) there seems to be flicker in the areas of highlight. Not extreme flicker mind you, but a definate pulsing. Like I said this only happened in extreme highlights. For example the whites around a burnt out window, or the bright reflection of the sun off a marble floor. I am wondering what caused this. I did an alignment test, and the movement seemed perfect, a professional camera technician verified that, this afternoon. Everything seems to be in perfect shape with the camera. The Technician suggested that perhaps this problem was caused in the transfer. What does everyone think? could this sort of problem be caused in a transfer, or do you think I am overlooking something with the camera?

Cheers,

Steve Whitehead

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

Have the same footage printed and go project it at the lab, or take it to a different telecine.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

That BL2 is a piece of junk! Toss it into Lake Ontario.

R,

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

I tried googling information about my question to you but could not find one answer. Does the BL2 have an adjustable shutter angle? If it does, could it be a problem at the higher shutter speed settings only?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

I once rented an old Mitchell version of the Arri-2C (can't remember the details, some odd thing lying around Panavision) and all the footage came back with a flicker, even outdoors in natural light. Turned out to be some sort of shutter problem so it's possible there is a camera problem.

#6 Stephen Whitehead

Stephen Whitehead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

I once rented an old Mitchell version of the Arri-2C (can't remember the details, some odd thing lying around Panavision) and all the footage came back with a flicker, even outdoors in natural light. Turned out to be some sort of shutter problem so it's possible there is a camera problem.

Now the shutter is fixed, and the alignment seems to be fine. David, do you think it is possible that the telecine caused this problem? The weirdest thing for me is that it only happened on a few select shots.

Cheers,

Steve

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

Like I said, either take it to a second telecine or have it printed and projected so you can rule out the telecine or the camera.

The Slider

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC