Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hello,

I have a bolex rex1 that served me well till now. But the spring is getting a little weak in the end of long takes(the last 5 seconds of a full spring-load), specially in cold conditions like this morning while I was filming in the snow...

So i'd like to clean and lube it.

How to open the camera?

What should I be aware of?

What grease or oil to use?

Any mechanical parts that shouldn't be lubed?

Any other advice?

links?

thanks in adavance, Bernhard

sorry haven't seen the other post :D

Edited by Bernhard Zitz, 23 March 2007 - 08:12 PM.

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

sorry haven't seen the other post :D

There was one just yesterday ...

You are going to have to take off the shutter assembly at least ...

The site here talks about super16 conversions of the RX cams but it has instructions as to how to reinstall the shutter so it is in sync with the pull-down when you're finished, its not too hard...

As for getting into the full insides it involves cracking through all the black light proofing gunk that will have to be re-applied - *DO NOT* open the spring, you'll loose an eye and have a graphite tattoo running from your forehead to your nether-regions ... wind the spring down fully before dong this and take care of the claw - I wont give full instructions as if you're not confident in figuring it out for yourself you shouldn't be doing it - think broken/forced bits flying all round the room, bloodied fingers etc...

Watch the camera go at a trillion FPS once the governor falls out of its mount and then comes to an abrupt halt with a microsecond to ponder the 'immovable object meets irresistible force' paradox (irresistible force wins in this case)

That being said - I've done it - I just applied grease where it made sense to me, nothing untoward has happened with my liberal applications of virgin olive oil expect a bit of splatter on the face of a few cats upon testing it out B)

As is always good advice, drink some Gin beforehand

Edited by Nick Mulder, 23 March 2007 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:24 AM

Cats? What, actual cats, or do you mean laid-back gentlemen, as in 'cool for cats'?

#4 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:44 AM

There was one just yesterday ...

yeah i saw it just after posting

You are going to have to take off the shutter assembly at least ...

As for getting into the full insides it involves cracking through all the black light proofing gunk that will have to be re-applied - *DO NOT* open the spring, you'll loose an eye and have a graphite tattoo running from your forehead to your nether-regions ... wind the spring down fully before dong this and take care of the claw - I wont give full instructions as if you're not confident in figuring it out for yourself you shouldn't be doing it - think broken/forced bits flying all round the room, bloodied fingers etc...

I did this on russian cameras before, but this here sounds like a lot of hassle, I guess I just use my bolex in warm environments or get another body...

thanks anyway, Bernhard

#5 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

Cats? What, actual cats, or do you mean laid-back gentlemen, as in 'cool for cats'?

truth is, both actually... I often take 5 secs of the assorted meows laying about the house to finish a reel but they are both females - but I'd rate my photo buddies as sophisticated man-about-towners yes :lol:

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineTape

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets