8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

I took a chance and bought this tripod and fluid head for a good price on the blind. When it arrived I found it in good condition, but missing the camera plate. The head says Elmech(Munich) and the legs say Movie Tech(also Munich). I wasn't able to find Elmech through a web rearch, so I assume they're defunct. The head seems like a 50 lbs. head to me and it's very similar to a Sachtler. So I was wondering if the plates are interchangable, specificaly with the Sachtler Touch and Go 16. This plate sells for about $100, so I want to be sure before I buy. Anybody know?
The opening for it is 65 x 75mm when closed, with the dove tail on the short sides only.

Posted Image

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

I took a chance and bought this tripod and fluid head for a good price on the blind. When it arrived I found it in good condition, but missing the camera plate. The head says Elmech(Munich) and the legs say Movie Tech(also Munich). I wasn't able to find Elmech through a web rearch, so I assume they're defunct. The head seems like a 50 lbs. head to me and it's very similar to a Sachtler. So I was wondering if the plates are interchangable, specificaly with the Sachtler Touch and Go 16. This plate sells for about $100, so I want to be sure before I buy. Anybody know?
The opening for it is 65 x 75mm when closed, with the dove tail on the short sides only.

Posted Image

The Sachtler Video 18 measures 67 by 75mm at the top, buy then it bevels in slightly and measures 65 by 75mm, both measurements are when the button is triggered to the lock position. The depth is 7mm.

If that matches congratulations you may have a winner. Those heads new cost well over 3 grand, maybe 4 or five grand depending on if it's the equivalent of an 18, 20, or higher.

What do you mean by "50 pounds", is that how much weight it can support?

By the way, that logo reminds me of some type of Sachtler logo. The one thing it has that is different is it has a lot of bolts and openings drilled into where the plate is supposed to go, I find that a bit different, I don't know it it matters however.

#3 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thanks Alessandro, the Sachtler plate seems identical then.
Yeah, I estimate the head to be rated for 50 pound load.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:55 PM

Thanks Alessandro, the Sachtler plate seems identical then.
Yeah, I estimate the head to be rated for 50 pound load.

That probably means it's like a 20. I was told by a teleprompting service that the Video 18 can "handle" 40 pounds and the 20 can handle 50 pounds, maybe more. Were there pictures with the auction or did you just go off of description?

#5 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

I found it on craigslist somewhere in the geographical center of the continental US. The seller was "taking offers" and accepted my first offer of $275, and shipped it to me.

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

The Satchler plate will work fine. This is one ofthe few standards that has been accepted across muchof the industry. That head will holda good sized video rig or Super-16 rig. If it's in basically goodshapethen you got a great deal. It may be worth sending it to a service shopto make sure the bearingsare well-packed and the grease is holding. A few hundred dollars more makes your investment equivalent to a $5K rig.

#7 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Mitch. It just so happens that I'll be going to NY in a couple of weeks, and I'll pick up a plate for it.
I think I will also take your advice and have the head serviced, because upon closer inspection, the head has a slight hang up on the pan movement. It can only be felt on the lower settings, but it's definetly there. The other operations seems fine, but I think it's been sitting around a few years.

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

Thanks Mitch. It just so happens that I'll be going to NY in a couple of weeks, and I'll pick up a plate for it.
I think I will also take your advice and have the head serviced, because upon closer inspection, the head has a slight hang up on the pan movement. It can only be felt on the lower settings, but it's definetly there. The other operations seems fine, but I think it's been sitting around a few years.

When I made "The Alphabet Song" I used a Sachtler Tripod and I was panning the head for each of my 8-15 second exposures for 3,600 super-8 exposures. Because of all the panning I had done, the pan settings also seemed to "lock" at the setting that I had used for all of my panning. I have watched someone take the "kinks" out by simply shuttling through the various number settings, and making sure to pan the head at each setting, and then repeat the procedure. It's almost as if the tripod develops a memory, but apparently it is a memory that can be reset.

#9 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

Mike, feel free to bring it to our shop. We can take a look at the head and also sell you that plate.

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera