4 replies to this topic

#1 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:29 PM

The project I've been tied to as of late seems to be shaping up, so the producers finally felt comfortable to start exploring our camera options. Now, if it were up to me I'd just shoot it on a Mitchell BNC and be happy with it, but with them footing the bill, they insist upon rental from an established dealer. Today, they sent me, the DP along with the director over to Panavision Orlando to meet up and get a feel for the cameras.

Well, first the director was late in meeting me for the carpool. Then, he showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. So, to his house I drove, and made him dress up. I am not meeting with any company paired with a guy in jeans in a t-shirt.

Well, it's an hour drive to Orlando, so we went over the usual subjects, different movies, what worked, what didn't. Always good to be in a solid repitoire with the director beforehand. When we got there, drove to the Universal Lot, then promptly got lost. We were told, gate 3. So we counted to the 3rd gate... only it was gate 4! A security guard later, we're re-directed to the right gate.

So, finally at Panavision I turn to Matt the director and went "Alright, so who are we meeting, again?" He left the papers with the name at his house. Quick call to the line producer, and we go in. Then, we meet Mindy, our agent. Nice woman, we got onto a wavelength quickly. She was quite impressed that our production had sent the DP in for cameras, rather than a pair of exec producers that didn't know a thing about cameras. In short order, I broke down our needs, and we had a listing of camera options. We settled on the Platinum, and she took us out back. She took one out, and in no time, I was explaining the camera to Matt, having never seen one before. We selected the head we'd be renting, the lens selection, and came up with a quote, which is now being passed around the producers as we speak. After over an hour and a half, we'd pretty much covered every bit short of actually shooting with the camera. Matt was lost a few moments, but I explained things.

It was then I realized I had made it. I was a DP attached to a feature. Sure, it's a low-budget job, by hollywood standards, but it's a feature. And here I was, the first day doing what I hope is the rest of my life, with 45lbs of camera on my shoulder. I wish I'd have thought to take a picture.

#2 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

Great story. A lot of long hard work finally pays off.

Congrats on landing the deal and best wishes for the shoot ahead. I'm sure you will be keeping us updated in the months to come.

Again. good work.

James.

#3 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

You shouldn't have any problem finding lots of eager grips and pa's at Full Sail or UCF!

Congratulations on the feature!

#4 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

This post is a wind up....... surely

#5 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

HUAHAUHAUHAUHA!!!!!! Maybe. Lot's of people think lots of things. :-) I myself graduated from Full Sail.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets