#1 J. Scott Portingale

J. Scott Portingale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Director
  • Canada

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

I am shooting a stop motion film on a Nikon D80 that will be finished on 35mm film with optical sound. Where can i have that process done. I heard there was a place in texas for about $450.00US per minute. Is there anywhere else that can compete with that price? Does anyone have a link to a site?

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

No offense, but wouldn't it make more sense shooting it on 35mm neg if transfer costs are that high? By my thinking, you're spending double for transfer over what it would cost to just shoot it on film to begin with.

#3 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

Several short animation films have been done like this. One of the issues to watch for is that some digital SLR cameras have a slight vibration when the mirror is swung to the up position just before capturing the frame. This only shows up if you have a sequence that you can play at full speed, you don't see it on single frames.

Any house with a film recorder should be able to take your hard disk with image sequence and record it to 35mm negative.

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

Several short animation films have been done like this. One of the issues to watch for is that some digital SLR cameras have a slight vibration when the mirror is swung to the up position just before capturing the frame. This only shows up if you have a sequence that you can play at full speed, you don't see it on single frames.

Any house with a film recorder should be able to take your hard disk with image sequence and record it to 35mm negative.

Assuming you have a good DSLR, this shouldn't be a problem. Just set it to "mirror lockup" and judge your compositions with an improvised viewfinder or at the beginning of each "scene" and you'll be fine. Again though, I think you could do it cheaper just using film to begin with.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Glidecam

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape