Photo

Within the limits of Grading on DigiBeta?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

Hi i recently had the rushes for this 16mm short scanned. Its a long story, where we ended having two scans, the first was graded nicely and had appropriate levels. The second, well thats another story.

Anyway there are a few shots were the light is clipping badly, and the clipped light is bleeding onto window frames and the actor. I have DigiBeta master, but i'm not sure if these problems can be fixed within the realms of DigiBeta and I need to know whether I need to arange a rescan.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,
Andy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:52 PM

Well, the clipping is clipped, that's it, end of story. The rest of it, you can verify by playing with levels in Photoshop and taking a view as to whether the level of noise will be acceptable, but there's a lot of film grain on there and if you're happy with that, you may not even see it.

But the whites are obviously gone and there's nothing you can do about it. I don't know, obviously, how much was actually supposed to be there. It'll look rather odd, I think, whatever you do.

Phil

#3 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Yeah - I'd definately go for the re-scan... The first shot I don't mind the clipping as the burn out looks right with the backlight and could probably be tweaked into something nice... but for the other shots I'd go back to the neg and start over...

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

Yeah - I'd definately go for the re-scan... The first shot I don't mind the clipping as the burn out looks right with the backlight and could probably be tweaked into something nice... but for the other shots I'd go back to the neg and start over...

I think you guys have helped make up my mind. I'm going to arange a rescan, nothing can be done when the detail of a window frame or a face is missing.

#5 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

was it a daily/print or the neg that was telecined/scanned?

because the blowing out of the areas around the doorframe area looks too inclined for neg, even for direct sunlight... unless it was the choice of the colorist.

for footage with so much context/creative-sensitive overexposed area, i would maybe opt for a flat transfer and handle the color grade in post if you can't afford a nice sit-in session. hope this helps.

#6 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

I hate to be too nitpicky, but it makes a big difference here -- a scan is a scan; a telecine transfer is telecine. The process, controls, and results are very different. I suspect we're talking about telecine transfer.

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera