#1 Indrajith Ramesh

Indrajith Ramesh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Trivandrum

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:16 AM

What's the average rate of reverse telecine in US?

is it cheaper than india....
here it'll be around $15/second ....

#2 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

In the USA its about $.14 from CIneLab.

#3 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

In the USA its about $.14 from CIneLab.

That's for regular telecine - reverse telecine is quite a different animal and a *lot* more expensive.

Here are some sample prices from DVFilm:

http://www.dvfilm.com/specials.htm

#4 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

What's the average rate of reverse telecine in US?...

To find prices here you need to search for either "video to film transfer" or else "kinescope." These are the same thing except Kinescoping has bad connotations of how they used to look back in the days of crappy B&W video cameras and their objectionable artifacts, which the film stock recorded faithfully.

Reverse Telecine is not a term I have heard before. It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Cheers.

#5 Indrajith Ramesh

Indrajith Ramesh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Trivandrum

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

reverse telecine is nothin but transferrin images into a film....
simply the opposite of telecine......itzz quite expensive here...

#6 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

Reverse telecine is indeed transferring electronic images onto film.

It is invariably more expensive than telecine transfers. But you need to be specific as there are differnet processes, depending on whether you are transferring from video (SD or HD) to film, or from data to film: and whether it's a laser recorder, a CRT recorder, or an older machine like a kinescope: or simply a film camera pointed at a monitor.

#7 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Reverse telecine is indeed transferring electronic images onto film.

It is invariably more expensive than telecine transfers. But you need to be specific as there are differnet processes, depending on whether you are transferring from video (SD or HD) to film, or from data to film: and whether it's a laser recorder, a CRT recorder, or an older machine like a kinescope: or simply a film camera pointed at a monitor.

I think the average is going to be from $250/min to about $450/min on real Cine recorders and this depends on how long a job it is (running time) and as Dominic said this will depend on the source material.

We have been shooting 30 sec spots to both 1.85 and 2.35 with one print each for around $1k on a Solitaire Cine3 and I have a few 20min jobs coming up. I would not want to shoot a long form show on a slow recorder like this but image quality is good.

I would think that facilities in LA would sell off the downtime on a arri or Celco recorder more reasonably and you might get a deal if you call around.

-Rob-

#8 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:55 AM

I think the average is going to be from $250/min to about $450/min on real Cine recorders and this depends on how long a job it is (running time) and as Dominic said this will depend on the source material.

We have been shooting 30 sec spots to both 1.85 and 2.35 with one print each for around $1k on a Solitaire Cine3 and I have a few 20min jobs coming up. I would not want to shoot a long form show on a slow recorder like this but image quality is good.

I would think that facilities in LA would sell off the downtime on a arri or Celco recorder more reasonably and you might get a deal if you call around.

-Rob-

I was also going to say that I get a call from time to time from 16mm filmmakers asking for video to 16 and I generally tell people to shoot a LCD monitor with a camera, many titles are done this way. There are several companies out there starting to make panel based film recorders, Kinetta for example.

-Rob-

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineTape

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc