Beatriz Santiago

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I am a novice testing a Beaulieu R16, without a magazine, just a 100ft roll.
It came back from the lab looking good in terms of exposure, focus but it is
up-and-down jiggly, jumpy, jittery. It does not come in and out of focus, so I believe,
from what I've read in some manuals, that it is not the pressure plate. Sounds more like
registration pin issues but is possible that it is something i did wrong in loading?

I dont want to send it out for repairs thousands of miles away (I live in San Juan, Puerto Rico)
in vain...I'd like to have a fair idea that it does indeed need repair and that it is not my own
user mistake before I ship it out.

Any ideas on how to figure this out?

Thanks

Beatriz

#2 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

Are you sure you made the upper loop big enough when you did load the camera?

Load a bit of discarded film, let the camera run at slowest speed and watch the upper loop: It may become small, but the film must never be tightened, otherwise you get the phenomenon you described.

Please check this and tell us what you found out (when you're at it, look at the lower loop too).

BTW, the Beaulieu has no register pin, only the claw that pulls the film down.

Edited by Christian Appelt, 30 March 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#3 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hi Beatriz, Make sure that the little pressure-plate directly behind the film is actually pressing against the film when closed. The camera does not have a registration pin, so that's not the problem.
Make sure the roller guide piece...the part that you can lift out which encompasses the rollers...is completely depressed.
Look and see, with the camera running, that the take-up spindle is turning.
If there is a way for you to slowly inch the camera movement by hand...on/off button depressed and locked in...by slowly turning the rollers, look and see that the loaded film perforations are indeed being grabbed by the claw.
Cheers, Bernie

#4 Gregory King

Gregory King

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

I have a question relating to this issue. I just had my R16 serviced for a shoot this weekend, and it ran a couple test reels really well. I remember, though, that when I loaded the reels, the loop stayed very steady in place when running; the 'shape' was very consistent and steady. During the shoot, the loop somehow got tightened, because when I opened the camera, thinking I was at the end of a roll, the last couple feet were still left, and I noticed that the top loop was nearly horizontal coming out of the top spool as it entered the gate, which I know is a bad thing.

Now, I noticed before this happened, and definitely every time I load now, the loop will keep its shape generally, but it isn't as rock steady as when I first brought it home. In 2 fps, the loop appears to raise up a hair, then comes down as it's being pulled by the claw, then back up, down, so that at 24 fps, it appears shakey (is the best word I can think of), and not as rock steady as before. When I look at the film's sprocket hole as it enters the gate, it looks steady when running film, but that's hard to detect with the naked eye. Is my footage going to be jittery? Does the loop have to be totally steady in shape, or is a little 'play' allowable? I'm having nightmares that the footage from the shoot is going to come back jittery, from the moment I noticed the tightened loop on... I'll be running a test reel this week to confirm, but just hoped I could get some info from someone here...

#5 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

Hi, You might lose one frame on startup, but it's not good when you lose more than that.
You might have either too little take-up tension, or too much.
Again, check that the pressure plate is applying frontal force to the film at the gate. You can do this by closing the gate and pulling the plate back and away from the aperture with an orange stick/toothpick.
Try to gently rull it from either top or bottom. You should feel a slight force trying to pull the plate back to the aperture plate. It should snap shut.
Cheers, Bernie

#6 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

During the shoot, the loop somehow got tightened, because when I opened the camera, thinking I was at the end of a roll, the last couple feet were still left, and I noticed that the top loop was nearly horizontal coming out of the top spool as it entered the gate, which I know is a bad thing.

Check the tension of your feed spool. Maybe it has too much tension, and when the film roll's diameter gets smaller, tension can get high enough to make the film slip through the feed sprocket, causing the loop to shrink. Also check the pressure pad on the top sprocket wheel that comes before the loop - if you pull the film by hand to the left (direction of feed spool), can you make it slip over the teeth?
Might be a worn or maladjusted pressure pad and/or too much friction on the feed spool.

Edited by Christian Appelt, 01 April 2007 - 03:48 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam