• Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hi to all of you ,
i get amazed everytime i see these videos ,like this one :

can someone tell me exactly which units they use and were do they place them ,for example for the shot where justin is lit by upstairs and sings with this old fashion microphone..do they use fresnels ?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

Looks like a big overhead softbox or lighting balloon above (skirted) on a dimmer board.

#3 pascal Boyer

pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

Looks like a big overhead softbox or lighting balloon above (skirted) on a dimmer board.

Thank you!
what do you mean with : lighting balloon "above (skirted) on a dimmer board" .... i know what a lightning balloon is but do you have any image for me to understand what the rest of the sentence means .

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

Thank you!
what do you mean with : lighting balloon "above (skirted) on a dimmer board" .... i know what a lightning balloon is but do you have any image for me to understand what the rest of the sentence means .

"Skirted" means that black, nonreflective material is hung around the balloon like a skirt. Think of this as if the balloon itself were hips. ;) This prevents too much light from spilling out the sides and keeps the light going downward, helping to control the background light and contrast.

A "dimmer board" is a control board (it might look like a mixer for audio) with sliders that control the intensity of a bunch of lights from one central location.

Edited by Christopher D. Keth, 30 March 2007 - 01:11 PM.

#5 pascal Boyer

pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

"Skirted" means that black, nonreflective material is hung around the balloon like a skirt. Think of this as if the balloon itself were hips. ;) This prevents too much light from spilling out the sides and keeps the light going downward, helping to control the background light and contrast.

A "dimmer board" is a control board (it might look like a mixer for audio) with sliders that control the intensity of a bunch of lights from one central location.

i got it now !
thank you !

#6 Matt Sandstrom

Matt Sandstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Director
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

there's also a soft fill light above the camera. you can see it in his eyes in the closeups. it's big and soft edged, probably something shot through diffusion, it's not the top light since that never reaches the eyes, but it's fairly high up too. it's common to round off the light and/or add fill on closeups. it doesn't look like it's there in the wide shots.

/matt

ps. you can actually see the double shadow under his eyebrows.

#7 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

a balloon with skirts on the sides:

http://www.lightingb...il3a_edited.jpg

I think this is from Devil Wears Prada in the Surrogates Courthouse in NYC.

I actually think that the source of light that hits him at the microphone is a bit more directional than a balloon. Unless it is a small and powerful balloon farther away from the subject.

It could be a fresnel (10 or 20k), beam projector, maxi, or 12 light, through some sort of diffusion frame from a lift. If they can get a lift into the location they shot in.

Many times several different dp's and gaffers can get the same result using different methods.

Best

Tim

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

Wow, that's a lot of effort to go to for such a completely forgettable and undifferentiated track.

Phil

#9 pascal Boyer

pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

Wow, that's a lot of effort to go to for such a completely forgettable and undifferentiated track.

Phil

we were speaking about the image of the video.... :huh:

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc