Mark Krebs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hello there!

I'm not actually a cine enthusiast - I dabble in still photography. Rangefinderforum is where it's usually at for me! So please forgive the intrusion.

I was recently given a Bell & Howell Filmo 70DL camera. As best I can tell it's in mint condition, it seems to work (winding mechanism works, several speeds work etc.), has a spare spool, and three lenses. Off the top of my head, a 1 inch f/1.9 Bell & Howell Super Comat; a 0.7 inch f/2.5 Bell & Howell Super Comat; and a Bell& Howell Angenieux 3 inch f/2.5 lens. They focus okay, if a bit stiff, and the apertures look clean.

I'm trying to find out a bit about the camera. I gather it's from the 50's? How is it regarded by the cognoscenti? Is this a run-off-the-mill, middle-of-the-road camera, or something better - or worse? What about the lenses? What is its value? I am not interested in keeping it, but would not know where to sell it either! eBay doesn't seem to have many of them going at the moment. Any hints or tips or links would be great! Camera is currently in Cambridge, UK, if anyone's really interested.

Thanks, people, any help would be much appreciated!

Mark

|\/|<

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

I was recently given a Bell & Howell Filmo 70DL camera. As best I can tell it's in mint condition, it seems to work (winding mechanism works, several speeds work etc.), has a spare spool, and three lenses. Off the top of my head, a 1 inch f/1.9 Bell & Howell Super Comat; a 0.7 inch f/2.5 Bell & Howell Super Comat; and a Bell& Howell Angenieux 3 inch f/2.5 lens. They focus okay, if a bit stiff, and the apertures look clean.

I'm trying to find out a bit about the camera. I gather it's from the 50's? How is it regarded by the cognoscenti? Is this a run-off-the-mill, middle-of-the-road camera, or something better - or worse? What about the lenses? What is its value?

Design is from the 30's but they were used till the 60's as TV news cameras.
I use one as my personal Camera. Don't run it at full speed without film, other than that they are considered very rugged, and good in the outdoors.

Do a search on the forum, for "filmo" and you will probaly find some more info.

#3 Mark Krebs

Mark Krebs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for that, Charles. There's a lot of information but not much on price. It seems to depend on conditions, extras and lenses. I'll join the Filmo70 Yahoo group and have a look there, too.

It's fun to browse the forum, though. So close and yet so different from still photography. Half-tempted to see where I can get some 16 mm film from and just have a go.

Cheers,

Mark

|\/|<

Design is from the 30's but they were used till the 60's as TV news cameras.
I use one as my personal Camera. Don't run it at full speed without film, other than that they are considered very rugged, and good in the outdoors.

Do a search on the forum, for "filmo" and you will probaly find some more info.

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Technodolly

CineLab