3 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

Just watched this -- a very nice film, sort of a delicate, realistic look at the daily life of an unambitious samurai on the low end of the pay scale, struggling to deal with family after the death of his wife. It culminates in a sort of odd duel, handled realistically. Had almost a Mizoguchi quality to it.

The lighting was nice, a lot of low-key light coming through small windows into dark rooms. Great compositions, use of space.

#2 Matthew Bennett

Matthew Bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

I watched twilight samurai about a year ago and loved it, recently I bought a copy of "The Hidden Blade", by the same director, YĆ“ji Yamada, loved it as well. It has funny scenes, peaceful scenes, intriguing and historical scenes, romantic scenes, and violent scenes. I wish there were a thousand other movies eactly like those two because I would watch them all. Good picks!

#3 Jason Maeda

Jason Maeda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

My wife called me at work recently to tell me she had just seen the lead actor, Hiroyuki Sanada, at an outdoor restaurant. I so wish I could have met him.

Twighlight Samurai and the Hidden Blade are both fantastic mainstream films. The camera work in both is very confident and understated, a real lesson for all of us who find orselves wondering "where to put the camera" from time to time.

jk :ph34r:

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

I saw it several times a few years ago when working at an art house cinema - enjoyed it the first time considerably. Unfortunatly its not really a film one can watch several times.

The directors made a similar film a few years latter called The Hidden Blade, very interesting but somewhat dissapointing that the plot was so similar.

Nothing quite like it, very sober form of filmmaking.

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc