#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

Hello all,

I am seeking medium budget commercial and medium to high budget corporate work. It is one thing to have my daily rate, but what do I charge for any pre, scouting, testing or any post work? Or at this level, I should not rock the boat with such expenses? IS it a percentage of your daily rate?

Do you charge fuel if travelling over a certain distance?

Thanks,

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

Depends on what you can get away with. To keep things simple, I usually charge the same hourly rate as for shooting, and during most of the prep, I just write down an 8-hour day since overtime usually kicks in above 8 hours.

That counts as a full day of prep and I'm usually guaranteed a certain number of paid prep days, which I sort of spread out. In other words, I may actually work 10 days off and on, half a day here and there of scouting & meetings, etc. but I may only be promised 5 full days of paid prep. Now I could try and break it all down on my time sheets, but usually it's simpler to just say "5 days worked" or something.

So in your case, you should ask how many days of prep they have budgeted to pay you for. On a commercial, it may be two full days, whether or not you actually work off & on over the week prepping. Usually a professional production company will try and keep your prep from being too spread out, knowing that your time is worth something. Shooting tests should come under your prep days. Now if you feel you really are working much more full days of prep than they are paying you for, you should talk to them about it, although you have to balance that with the working relationship you want to establish with the director and producer.

Now travel days might count as a half-day of pay.

As for gas money, that just depends. Commuting from home to the shoot (unless it is unusually far), probably not, but driving around scouting in your car, probably you can get something.

I rarely get paid for post time unfortunately.

Glidecam

Opal

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products