#1 Eric T. Johnson

Eric T. Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

I've posted variations on this topic on both DVXUser.com and DVinfo.net and I wasn't able to obtain very much useful information. I'll try my luck here.

I am looking for an all-purpose monitor to use both in the field and in the studio. I know that I'm limiting myself with this approach, but as funds are limited, it is my only option. After considering a number of monitors, I've decided to not to go the 9" route. I know it offers the portability that will be key for field use, but becuase I cannot afford the battery power that will really maximize the portability of these monitors, the small form factor is much less of an advantage. On the flip side, I have also eliminated the 17" and larger monitors. While they might be great in the studio, when it comes to the field, there is no way in hell I'm dragging one of those around. So, with that said, I'm looking into the 13" - 15" range; large enough for studio use, and small enough to offer some measure of portability.

It seems I have found the perfect monitor - the JVC TM-H150CGU:

http://www.bhphotovi...goryNavigation:

The specs on this are quite nice, however there is one lingering concern - JVC doesn't put out any documentation on the type of phosphors used in this monitor. Obviously at this price they aren't SMPTE phosphors, but is it safe to say that the phosphors are P-22?

I know, I know... if you want accurate broadcast calibration you MUST have SMPTE phosphors. Simply put, I can't afford it. I'm sure a monitor such as this is better for color correction than my LCD, so I'm OK with it.

What I'm looking for is A) someone to help me with my question about phosphors and B) any additional info that might help; such as, "I've got this monitor, it kick serious @$$", or "this monitor sucks because...", or "this is a better monitor for the price..."

Thanks! (Sorry the post ended up so long)

Eric

One more thing... I'm shooting DV.

Edited by Eric T. Johnson, 01 April 2007 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hey Eric--

I'd reconsider the larger LCD. A Panasonic 17" is an excellent tool and in a case it's about as potable as a standard 9" field monitor. We (and others) have developed stand adpters and cases to make it location production friendly, and it is designed to run off 12v as well as house power. We now also make a battery bracket to attach an Anton Bauer brik directly to the monitor.

The monitor is pretty accurate and accepts pretty much every form of video you can send it (composite, component, SDI, NTSC, PAL, HD, etc.). It even has a built in waveform which is very useful.

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC