#1 SpikeUM

SpikeUM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

Here are some lighting tests for a small foyer. Its tiny so I found anything brighter than a 650 would totally wash it out. The aesthetic will hopefully be old school but not a period piece if you know what I mean. I see where I need to add some rim light here and there and I also have not really lit the 3rd room yet meaning the dining room. So it's foyer, living room(dark), dining room.
Any feed back or idea welcome.

http://www.dvxuser.c...ead.php?t=92722

Thanks.
Aram

#2 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

They look good.good compostion, look like you shot in 16:9 then croped it.
The first shot the lighting on the mans face is a bit to hard for my liking. though it is not over-exposed I just dont like the way video handles hard light. Its unfortunate cause I love hard light, film noir style lighting, and you have to be carefull with these cameras,unlike film.
but every thing else looks great.
good work

If these are just screen tests, get some diffusion for the actors key lights,maybe a light opal. that way you can still get some shawdows. and maybe use hard light on the set??

Edited by Daniel Carruthers, 02 April 2007 - 02:34 PM.

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

Beautiful work! :D I doubt I'll ever be able to shoot like that. :(

Did you use any sort of gel on that light? What was the make and wattage of that light? Is that pistol a BB gun? :lol:

#4 John Carreon

John Carreon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Orange County, CA.

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

I like the tests a lot. What are you shooting on?

I don't know if you were just testing a look but the continuity of the light sources shifts a lot.

First shot shows the door in the background to be lit...then the next shot when we come around the corner it's almost completely dark. Then the light jumps from the 2nd to last shot...to the last shot...I think, I just forgot even though I watched it 35 seconds ago...also in the last shot the light is a little bright on the actor's face...more so then any other shot.

Besides that, it looks pretty cool...I like the style.

Keep up the good work...

John

#5 SpikeUM

SpikeUM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and definitely keep it coming. :)

I'm shooting on an HVX with a Brevis35 adapter. I used a 28mm F1.2 for all the shots framing with the anamorphic cropping in mind. The gun was some replica of a PPK. The gun I plan on using for the short is a CP99 because its easily recognizable at a glance which is key for the story. The lights were from an Arri kit. 2 350s and 2 150s. I think in one of the 650s were on in the shot where hes looking at the camera. I think I'm going to have the foyer the color you see now, the living room a blue and the dining room orange so its like looking through a color tube or something. I still have to work that out.

I didn't have any gels on the lights but i had a filter on the lens.
I didn't have any reflectors or gobos around but I should have thought about that before I headed over. The light shifts you see from shot to shot is on purpose. I wanted to see if it was pronounced enough to be noticeable because I wanted exposure for the mirror shot but the next shot I wanted that "step into the light" thing you see without being too dark. It worked for the most part I think. I just have to have him work on the facial expression when he steps out. (I'm also directing). The biting of the lips seems like hes concentrating when it should be second nature for a seasoned hit man. When he opens the door I will have a light outside the door but for this test I didn't because of rain.
Its a first test which I'm pretty happy with but will work a few more tests in before I shoot just to see my options. I do want to use a little more diffusion in the shots. Even though I'm using the hit man genre for a vehicle to get my story across but its more a surreal personal story.

When I get my scheme locked and shot I will probably put up some diagrams of what I did for those who want to see.

#6 SpikeUM

SpikeUM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

I don't see an edit area for posts. I meant a F2 lens.

CineTape

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Opal