Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student
  • London, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hey all,

This is my first post as a new user here, so bare with me. I'm a university student at the moment, studying film and MIT, and have recently been very active in many student film festivals around the province. However, I am looking to truly begin my filmmaking career this summer, and am looking to purchase a very high-quality camera. :lol:
I discovered the HDRFX1 and, though slightly on the expensive side for me, seemed like what I wanted. However, I shortly after researched it's companion, the FX7 and doing quite some research have discovered that the FX7 has, with only a couple exceptions, many more capabilities and qualities than the FX1. Yet the FX1 is more expensive? :huh: I'm confused.
As a university student looking to finally get out into the field of film, which camera would work better for me? I have compiled a few 'ups and downs' for each, however I am unsure if the extra $400 (approx) for the FX1 is worth it or not.

FX1:

- So it's got the manual zoom ring, which would be incredibly helpful, but is the extra money worth it?
- The LCD 3.5in screen is located above the controls for easier viewing while filming.
- But only 12X Optical Zoom!? :blink:

FX7:

- No zoom ring...
- Same size screen, but much better, it being a 3.5in WIDE Hybrid photo LCD!
- 20X optical zoom, much better than it's brother.
- Among many other things, such as Photo Mode and USB Streaming, while the FX1 has none of this.

What would you recommend? What would you personally put as utmost improtance when buying a camera such as one of these? As well, is the manual zoom ring worth the extra $400??

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate your input!

Dan Goldberg. B)

#2 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hi Dan

The FX7 is a consumer level camera. The FX1 is conisdered prosumer.

FX7 captures via a CMOS sensor as opposed to the FX1's tri CCDs. The FX1 can also capture in the 16:9 aspect ratio. The CCD chips it uses to capture are 1/3" (compared to FX7 1/4" CMOS), the slightly larger sensor allows for shallower depth of field which as you know is an important tool in story telling.

The FX1 zoom ring is mechanical, as you turn the ring you don't physically shift the focal length but an internal motor does it for you - that kind of rules it out as a benefit.

If I were you I would definately choose the FX1 over the FX7, its just better and the more you look into it the quicker you will realise. Having said that it may benefit to save up for a sony Z1 - its better still but the price is quite a hike from the FX1.

#3 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

ah i see.
yeah it is slightly above my intended budget, but...

I was also wondering, after reading a lot of things actually here on this forum if HD is even worth getting for a film student like myself? I mean I participate in a lot of festivals and workshops, but if HD really worth it at this point in time?

#4 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

No HD isn't necessary unless your outputting HD. With such a small budget you will only be able to afford (at a push) HDV which uses a mode of compression that isn't considered truly broadcast worthy. Better to stay standard definition. You will get more for your money.

I might suggest the following as SD options

Canon XL2
Sony DSR PD-170
AG DVX100A

Things to look out for are a camera capable of true proggressive scan shooting. Most entry level prosumer cameras feature a 1/3"ccd. Note that the bigger the CCDs the shallower the depth of field one can acheive. Before buying a camera test it to see if its good for whatever you need to use it for.

When choosing a camera you also will need to budget for the necessary accessories.

VTR
Non Linear Editing platform (software + PC/MAC)
matte box
etc

This is all pretty expensive stuff for a start up kit. You are listed as a student, doesn't the institution you attend have any gear?

David

#5 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, I've recently been looking at cameras capable of 24p recording, so the AGDVX100A and B are now my top choices probably.

This is all pretty expensive stuff for a start up kit. You are listed as a student, doesn't the institution you attend have any gear?

Unfortunately no. Well, not much anyways. I'm not at a film school at the moment. I'm getting a Media and Technological Production degree and then going off to film school.

#6 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

well good luck

#7 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

well good luck

Thanks a lot! :D I appreciate your help.

I think I've decided on the Panasonic AG-DVX100B, and it's being delivered next week!!

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine