Martin Wilkinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hello,

I am looking into shooting weddings on super 8. I am thinking of purchasing film, processing and telecine from pro8 in California. I need some help on the steps I need to edit on FCP when I get back a mini DV NTSC from them. I will shoot at 24fps on super 8. Do I need to use Cinema Tools or can I capture the mini DV and edit straight away. Will any of this affect anything I do on iDVD?

Any help on the steps involved would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin.

#2 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hello,

I am looking into shooting weddings on super 8. I am thinking of purchasing film, processing and telecine from pro8 in California. I need some help on the steps I need to edit on FCP when I get back a mini DV NTSC from them. I will shoot at 24fps on super 8. Do I need to use Cinema Tools or can I capture the mini DV and edit straight away. Will any of this affect anything I do on iDVD?

Any help on the steps involved would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin.

Martin - You capture into fcp straight from your sub-master mini-dv tape...I can't see any reason why you can't just go ahead.

Just make sure when you capture in fcp you capture the right frame ratio - otherwise (sometimes) when you compress and export your mpeg files they could be in the wrong ratio. Shame you're not pal though... If you can I'd get hold of a copy of dvd studio pro becuase it produces much better looking menus and buttons on the final dvd. There is much more leeway to build interesting looking menus with this software and it doesn't take too long to learn. I cut my own showreel, via dvcam sub-masters, through fcp then out as (two pass vbrs - better quality than single pass but longer rendering time) mpeg files. Imported into dvd studio pro, added my own stills for menu backgrounds and various buttons (containg looped clips of my own work)that lead to different sections of the 'reel. I've produced a few hundred now with no problems... You can add copy protection with 'Studio Pro which may be useful as I guess you want to sell multiple copies of the finished film...

- Do a small test run-through from capturing rushes through fcp editing to exporting and compressing to the final dvd - worth spending the effort to test your workflow - and less rendering time waiting for a long sequence to compress out of fcp...

'Hope this helps...

Rupe

#3 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

Do I need to use Cinema Tools or can I capture the mini DV and edit straight away.

Cinema tools is not a part of this workflow. You actually can't used cinema tools for super 8 since super 8 has no edgecode. Besides I doubt that you are planning on protecting for an actual film cut, considering your stated purpose. In your workflow your DV tape becomes the master from which you will work so make sure you do a supervised telecine, so you are getting exactly what you want laid to tape.

#4 Martin Wilkinson

Martin Wilkinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

Thank you both Rupe and Douglas.

This all helps a lot.

Martin.

The Slider