saleem dad
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • pakistan

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

hi,guys
If we shoot on super 16mm.can we tranfar in(telecine) for normal tv frame (standred tv) ? or after telecine we show a cinema scope fram?
becoz i want shoot on super 16mm camera but i want after telecine the frame ratio for normal tv not cinemascope frame. also what is difreance betwhen normal 16 & s 16 plz send me repply soon posible

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

The Super-16 full camera aperture is 1.68 : 1. Normally this would be trimmed slightly and transferred to 16x9 video (1.78 : 1). But you could crop the sides to 4x3 (1.33 : 1), which is more or less the regular 16mm area of the Super-16 frame. You might transfer to 16x9 HD and center-crop to 4x3 for a downconversion to either 4x3 PAL or NTSC. Or first make a separate 16x9 HD version with a 4x3 side-matte, then use that to make 4x3 standard def versions.

Obviously if you composed Super-16 for cropping top & bottom to 2.39, cropping instead side to side to 1.33 is a pretty different composition. You won't really get a good composition for both 2.39 and 1.33 out of the same negative.

Probably you'd take a 16x9 HD transfer, crop top & bottom to 2.39 (assuming you framed for that) for the film transfer and for any letterboxed version -- but also make a 4x3 version from 16x9 full-frame with some panning & scanning to make it acceptable in 4x3.

#3 saleem dad

saleem dad
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • pakistan

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:02 AM

hi,guys
If we shoot on super 16mm.can we tranfar in(telecine) for normal tv frame (standred tv) ? or after telecine we show a cinema scope fram?
becoz i want shoot on super 16mm camera but i want after telecine the frame ratio for normal tv not cinemascope frame. also what is difreance betwhen normal 16 & s 16 plz send me repply soon posible

your menas if i have normal tv ground glass must be used for framing?

#4 Zachary Vex

Zachary Vex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:49 AM

This is a very complex question because of the wide differences between cinemascope and TV frame!

Edited by Zachary Vex, 07 April 2007 - 03:53 AM.

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport