12 replies to this topic

#1 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

....Does Nizo 3056 have a manual aperture option?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

I don't own one, but apparently it does have manual exposure... and a +/- button. The camera seems to be tricked out with all the features you would find on a 481, 561, 801, but does 36fps slomo instead of 54fps. Unless your looking for a quite camera, the Nizo 481 macro winds my vote as the best S8 cam out there... so small and so loaded.

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

I don't own one, but apparently it does have manual exposure... and a +/- button. The camera seems to be tricked out with all the features you would find on a 481, 561, 801, but does 36fps slomo instead of 54fps. Unless your looking for a quite camera, the Nizo 481 macro winds my vote as the best S8 cam out there... so small and so loaded.

Thanks Tony. I just bought a 3056 for a friend and I hope it will work out for her. We had a Nizo S56(?) and it stopped working. We love the timelapse feature on the Nizo cameras so we decided to get another. I wish it ran 54fps, but at least it has a variable shutter and runs 36fps

What makes the 481 the best out there?

Steve

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

You might want to consider the 3056 for shooting in situations where a quiet camera is required. It seems like a bit of a waste to use it for time-lapse, assuming it even does time-lapse, since basically the camera is being worn out in a situation where a "noiser" camera would be just as effective and perhaps more. The 3056 definitely don't have time-exposure.

#5 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

You might want to consider the 3056 for shooting in situations where a quiet camera is required. It seems like a bit of a waste to use it for time-lapse, assuming it even does time-lapse, since basically the camera is being worn out in a situation where a "noiser" camera would be just as effective and perhaps more. The 3056 definitely don't have time-exposure.

...didn't know the 3056 has a reputation for being quiet. That's nice. I read somewhere that the NIZO 3056 is auto-exposure only. That got me worried. We need manual exposure control.

As far as "time exposure" goes. (not to be confused with time-lapse) the only S8 camera that I know about that has "time exposure" is the Leicina Special..... are there others?

Steve

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

...didn't know the 3056 has a reputation for being quiet. That's nice. I read somewhere that the NIZO 3056 is auto-exposure only. That got me worried. We need manual exposure control.

As far as "time exposure" goes. (not to be confused with time-lapse) the only S8 camera that I know about that has "time exposure" is the Leicina Special..... are there others?

Steve

The three digit model number Nizo's that end with the number one, such as a 481, 561, and 801, do time-exposure, the 800's might, but I'm not sure. Be careful with the batteries. It seems that certain types of batteries work with the Nizo four digit model numbers, but then other types of batteries won't work.

I forget now, but I think I had a situation where the NiCads work but the alkalines didn't, or vice-versa. Usually there are instructions either on the handle or inside the handle about what kind of batteries to use.

#7 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

I like the 481 macro because it's so compact (I even snagged a rare cable that lets me operate with the handle folded up) and all the features like variable shutter, time exposure, time lapse, 54fps, lap disolve, macro and wide angle attatchment. Excellent image quality too... I hardly ever drag out the big Canon's any more.

#8 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:49 AM

The 3056 does indeed offer manual exposure, as well as a 'fix' switch to lock the aperture at the meter setting. But it's meter-dependent, meaning that the meter has to be working in order to use it. It's controlled by the meter mini-motor, so if the meter is broken, it won't work.

#9 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

...thanks for the info.

we should have the camera soon and will begin testing it.

Cheers,

Steve

#10 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

...thanks for the info.

we should have the camera soon and will begin testing it.

Cheers,

Steve

Let us know how quiet it is, im curious.

#11 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

Let us know how quiet it is, im curious.

,,, I bet it isn't as quiet as a CP16, Eclair or Aaton LTR... Will post after I get a chance to work with the thing.

Steve

#12 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

It's quiet at the 18 frames speed and scary quiet at the 16 & 2/3 frames speed, but there is a noticeable difference compared to when film is put into the camera, at which point the camera is noticeably louder. I'm pretty sure that all the four digit Nizo's are among the quietest super-8 cameras ever made.

#13 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

...nice. It's too bad it's not crystal. Then I could really take advantage of its quietness..

Steve

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS