Photo

Thermal Imaging Camera - possible mating with a film camera?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

Howdo,

Take a quick look at this

There is a full manual here also..

Its a proper Thermal Imaging unit - not just night vision/predator cam - and I've found a 'cheap' one (compared to what it originally sold for that is) and I'm particularly interested if I could mate this up with a 16mm, 35mm or video camera ... (pref film) Looking at page 10 of the manual I cant see any ground glass where the image would be focused, would I instead simply put a short focal length lens on a camera and poke it up near the finder ? (sort of approximating the camera to a viewers eye) ...

I'm reasonably capable of machining it if need be.

Anybody with experience in this sort of thing - optics/video-taps/mods/odd-ball projects appreciated

nick

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

Well, since basically it is a video screen which converts invisible electromagnetic radiation into spectra your eye can detect, it's really pointless trying to have a film camera image it on the spot. There's no difference between what you'd capture right there and what you could record on video. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast, until they come out with VISORs maybe ;-)

Happy Easter,

~KB

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

Its not a video 'screen'

It has no output other than that LED/spinny wheel thing which goes to a viewfinder forming a virtual image on the back of your eye, there is no recording output so if I acquired this item I'd like to capture this virtual image on film ...

Why exactly this is pointless ? (Maybe this question is redundant, having understood what I just said though)

...but VISOR's ? as in... sunglasses ? why the caps ? you mean stereo (binocular) thermal imaging maybe ?

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Its not a video 'screen'

It has no output other than that LED/spinny wheel thing which goes to a viewfinder forming a virtual image on the back of your eye, there is no recording output so if I acquired this item I'd like to capture this virtual image on film ...

Why exactly this is pointless ? (Maybe this question is redundant, having understood what I just said though)

...but VISOR's ? as in... sunglasses ? why the caps ? you mean stereo (binocular) thermal imaging maybe ?

Sorry, VISORs aren't real. They're from Star Trek :-)

The LED/spinny wheel thing isn't optical. It has to be electronic in origin. Imaging it would present the same challenges as filiming a CRT, as far as I know. It may or may not have a refresh rate that would show up on a film camera, so you'd have to use the same tricks if it does present flicker problems as you would with filming a monitor.

Realize that there's no way of translating visual information beyond the range of human visual perception into information that can be seen without either a film or video intermediate step. You can't just slap filters on the front of your binoculars which would let you see infrared or thermal or any other spectrum. You have to translate it somehow so that the output IS within the range of human perception.

Question for you: what area of the EM spectrum is thermal imagery in? If it's near the UV end, it's possible you could capture that information natively on film, as film is actually sensitive to the ultraviolet region of the spectrum. This is why a lot of times when there are no other filters on a camera, photographers will slap a UV filter on, to prevent UV light from showing up as blue bias on the film.

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

Abel Cine