John Carreon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Orange County, CA.

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Hello,

I will be possibly shooting some Day-for-Night on the new Panasonic HVX and I was wondering if anybody has any tips for doing this...

I did search the topic and read up about it...but was hoping for a little more info.

Do you people recommend doing almost everything in post? How much in-camera tweaking should I do?

I plan on shooting some tests in the upcoming weeks and would like some ideas to toss around.

Thanks, much appreciated,

John

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

I would go halfway in-camera -- underexpose a little, make it a little cooler, keep the skies out of the frame or darkened with Polas and ND grads. And use ND's to be able to shoot at a wide-open aperture to reduce depth of field. And then tweak the look in post.

Simply darkening normal footage may not work in terms of highlight detail and shadow detail, because at least if you had underexposed on location, you would have seen on the monitor or eyepiece that you needed to pump in some light into the shadows here and there.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

Regardless of the format, it's usually best to do in-camera what you can do well in-camera. Post correction is always dependent on the information you give it. The farther you have to push the image in post, the more you stress the information you're working with.

That said, don't overdo the de-saturation in camera. You can always pull chroma out, but you can't put it back without artifacts.

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Tai Audio

The Slider