• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

I have just uploaded my film on You Tube

Hope the link works.

I shot my film with a small crew and two professional actors. The film is in one single shot without any cuts at 18 fps using a complete Super 8 cartridge. In all we did 7 takes and used Ektachrome 64T and Vision 200, the version I have uploaded is 64T. We used a steadycam made from a monopod, a mini disc recorder and a Bruan Nizo 6080 which has a widened (super duper) gate. The telecine was a workprinter.

Pav

#2 Justin Aguirre

Justin Aguirre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Newport Beach, CA

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

I liked it and how you got the sound to match. The only comment I have is that I wish it was a little more smoother. Good job either way though.

PS

It would be really interesting to see the Vision 200 as a comparison.

Justin

#3 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

I liked it and how you got the sound to match. The only comment I have is that I wish it was a little more smoother. Good job either way though.

PS

It would be really interesting to see the Vision 200 as a comparison.

Justin

Thanks, glad you liked it. I want people to give their comments and feedback, the wobble isn't too bad on a tv screen where you can see the faces of the actors. I think You Tube doesn't show off the sync that well. The telecine was a workprinter which works great for reversal film but wasn't brilliant for the Vision stock which needs a lot of grading. I need to get a Rank type or similar telecine done for the vision before I upload it.

Pav

#4 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

Nice movie, me likes this...

How much editing on the soundtrack has been done to match time-shift?

How did you manage to work in 18fps on a computer?

When you get the 200T-stuff it would be nice to post stills that compare 64T and 200T... :D

cheers, Bernhard

#5 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Glad you liked it. Every five seconds or so the sound shifted, and I had to make an adjustment usually cutting bits out of the sound track (the visuals were running slighter faster).

We were planning to shoot at 25fps but the action was longer that the two minutes and suited the camera to be slower hence the 18fps. I told the guy who did the telecine that we shot at 18fps and he sent me the transfered Mini DV, as far as I know there weren't any issues with the 18fps during telecine. I just uploaded the Mini DV onto my Adobe Premier and synced up the sound.

I will upload the vision 2 version soon.

Pav

#6 Jim Simon

Jim Simon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

OK,

I'll admit it may have been over my head, but since you asked for feedback...

I get done watching this, and my first thought is "Yeah, so, what's your point?". In short, I didn't get it.

My comments on the technical quality...

Workprinter's suck. It looked as if you aimed a VHS camera at a projection screen. Hotspoting was definitely visible, corners were unnaturally dark. Definitely not a showpiece for the Super 8 format. That may change when we see the 200T from a Rank transfer.

I also found the makeshift steadicam lacking, though I may be biased in this regard. A lot of American TV is shot handheld, and I absolutely HATE it. (Buy a freakin' tripod morons!) So take this criticism with a grain of salt.

Some of the Foley was a little off, footsteps in particular, though the overall sound was quite nicely done.

Bottom line, my artistic comments won't change, but I'm looking forward to seeing the 200T version.

#7 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

The performances were good, and the scene didn't fall apart despite being nearly 3minutes long. The writing wasn't bad either. It felt pretty natural. I think the weakness is that the narrative arc is not as strong as it could have been. I felt relief when he went his own way but not quite enough transpired between them for me to feel like this was an important moment.

Technicaly:
-mismatches in the audio levels, his lines and the SFX were far easier to hear than her lines.
-I'm a big fan of long tracking shots. I don't know if you intended this to be shown on the internet but anything shot for these small screens needs to be shot much closer if we are going to see faces and get reactions etc. You could have at least let the camera get closer to them for part of the time.
- The compression being what it is, its difficult to say anything about the image and the telecine. You could have shot the entire thing out of focus and we'd never know!

rather than sucktube, why not compress it to H.264 and post it somewhere else so we can really see your work?

#8 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 698 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

Well done.

I think it's a nice showcase of your directing skills and the actor's performances.

Few director's have the confidence to let a scene play in it's entirety without resorting to a cutaway.
I enjoyed the sense of paranoia and claustrophobia.

Makes a nice little thriller, made me want to see more. This would be a great opening to a dark feature.
Keep it going.

#9 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

Yep maybe a little closer to see the faces, you could start as you did and get constantly closer during the shot.

I wouldn't let the guy say the words "I'm paranoid that's what they all say". The audience will understand it without the character to say it literally...

I think the movie works well as stand-alone piece. Could also be a nice opening scene for a Robert-Altman-Style of multiplot-story about the weirdness of people living in todays society...

#10 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for all your comments and sugestions. The film is part of a series of shorts that I am doing about the frustrations and gradual despair of one man, a nice like-able person who goes off the rails and degenerates and ultimately commits a crime. We follow him through a series of isolated events and encounters.

I have just uploaded a Kodak vision 2 version. I like the look of the vision stocks, they're clearer though I think the performances were better in the Ektachrome, I do like the slightly tilted framing in this one too.

#11 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 698 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:57 AM

Oh, can you tell us where you got your gate widened?

Thanks.

#12 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

I think the performances were better in the Ektachrome,

Yeah, in the vison2 version you feel that he's reciting the script, the Ektachrome-version feels more natural.

It's funny, even if it shows a desperate person that's ignored by others, the Ektachrome-version did amuse me. I saw it as dark comedy(very dark). He seems rather naive and gentle, so I felt empathy for such a good boy so lost in this cruel world, and somehow funny and ironic that someone good can be in such a bad situation.

The Vison2-Version felt more tragic, or wanna-be-tragic. More like an actor trying to play a tragic character.

Which one was shot first? I'm pretty much a first shot best shot guy or even first shot only shot, would be interesting to know which one was best here.

#13 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

It was good. I liked the ektachrome one better but the performances were excellent in both of them. Was it you doing the operating? The performance of the guy in the vision one really reminded me of the hitchhicker from the original texas chainsaw masacare.

#14 Jim Simon

Jim Simon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

Was the Vision 2 also telecined with a Workprinter? Cause I gotta say it didn't look all that good. I thought you mentioned that the Vision stock was going to use a Rank transfer.

#15 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

Thanks everyone I really appreciate you all taking a look and sharing your thoughts.

I had read about the possibilities of filming with an enlarged gate a few years ago the ratio is 14.9. It's a similar philosphy to Super 16, except with Super 8 you can't move the lens and this will cause some vigneting at some focal lengths, I think the amount of vignetting varies from camera to camera. I took out my cameras gate and put it aside I then replaced it with an enlarged gate I took out form a non working Nizo camera. I had filed this gate myself. There are people/companies who will widen the gate for you, try these guys www.friendlyfirefilms.ca

All seven versions were telecined on a workprinter including the negs. I will get a rank transfer done as soon as I have some cash.

#16 Jim Simon

Jim Simon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

For one reel to MiniDV, Debenham Media Group will do a Rank transfer for $30.

#17 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for that I have just emailed them.

#18 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:05 AM

Just an update I have uploaded a new telecined and graded version on;

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=PKiuE1pb_Uc

View on Vimeo

Pav

#19 EmanueleMoretti

EmanueleMoretti

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

the telecine version is very cool , for super8mm the only solution for good movies it's professional telecine. There aren't another homeways.

GOOD JOB

#20 carmen loofah

carmen loofah
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

much preferred the first version of the film although I have yet to watch either with sound...the first one is more sinister and atmospheric....look forward to hearing the dialogue..liked your idea for the series of shorts

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineLab