1 reply to this topic

#1 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

Doing a test tomorrow with several HD cameras and am hoping to use a higher quality zoom on the HDX900. It currently has a Fujinon 17x7.6 ENG lens. What I'm considering is a Canon HJ 21x7.5 KLL Cine style zoom. It doesn't have a 2x extender so I'm thinking less elements, sharper image? Will there be a noticeable difference? Footage is going to be projected in 1080 HD.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

#2 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Doing a test tomorrow with several HD cameras and am hoping to use a higher quality zoom on the HDX900. It currently has a Fujinon 17x7.6 ENG lens. What I'm considering is a Canon HJ 21x7.5 KLL Cine style zoom. It doesn't have a 2x extender so I'm thinking less elements, sharper image? Will there be a noticeable difference? Footage is going to be projected in 1080 HD.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

The Canon 21x7.5 will have better characteristics (especially focus breathing and portholing) than the Fujinon ENG style lens (I'm assuming you mean the Fujion HA18x7.6, since I'm not aware of a 17x). The Canon will likely be a bit sharper, especially wide open, but the Fujinon holds up pretty well in that regard. The compromise in the design of that Fujinon lens, as I said, is in characteristics like focus breathing, portholing, etc. I've shot a lot with both, but they have very different applications - and price points. The 2x extender issue is really a moot point, since the extender is only in the optical path when it's actually flipped on.

J

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

The Slider