Photo

Is there a place that will combine developing and telecine at a discounted price?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Holman

Jeff Holman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

I'm shooting a 16mm silent B&W short film and we're finishing up next weekend. I was wondering if there was a lab that would develop my film, and telecine the footage onto miniDv for a discounted price. We're sending about 4 rolls of 100 foot Trix 160speed film and 2 rolls of 100 foot plusX 100 speed film, making 600 feet total. I've never used a telecine lab before because we have a telecine at school, but to be honest it looks pretty terrible, and I want a good digital copy of this most recent film. Student discounts appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

I'm shooting a 16mm silent B&W short film and we're finishing up next weekend. I was wondering if there was a lab that would develop my film, and telecine the footage onto miniDv for a discounted price. We're sending about 4 rolls of 100 foot Trix 160speed film and 2 rolls of 100 foot plusX 100 speed film, making 600 feet total. I've never used a telecine lab before because we have a telecine at school, but to be honest it looks pretty terrible, and I want a good digital copy of this most recent film. Student discounts appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Give us a call

www.cinelab.com

-Rob-

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Don't know what YOUR school's process is like, but most schools just do an untimed rank telecine of your workprint that (understandably) is always disappointing quality wise.

Just be sure when you get the film developed that you don't run the extra cost of also getting a workprint done, you won't need it since you're sending it to digital anyways.

But most labs do both processing & telecine in house. Shop around a bit.

I just got back from an hour session at Monaco here in SF where I had my film both processed & telecine'd. The price wasn't excellent, but I'm happy with the quality of the uncompressed SD footage.

The prices in Southern California are phenomenally better though.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Thanks in advance!

Yale Film and Video is pretty good. Their telecine is a bit pricey and I haven't tried it. They may have a student dicount. I have been using Colorlab in Maryland. They do a great job and are more affordable. They don't process reversal, though. I think they do student discount.

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

CineLab