#1 darrin p nim

darrin p nim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca from Portland, Or

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

What are some steps i need to make the two match? What should i be aware of when going to match in the Varicam? Thanks.

#2 Shaun Joye

Shaun Joye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

I don't think I've ever had to do that specific match, but I work at a rental house and the process we use is pretty similar for most cameras.

Set both of them up at the same image, as close to the same axis as possible and switch back and forth. Using the A/B on a single monitor is a good way to do it. The main things you're probably going to want to tweak are the gamma, black stretch, and the matrix possibly also the detail. Choose one to match the other to, and just keep tweaking it and switching back and forth until they look the same.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

It should work fine, as the HDX900 appears to be a sort of Varicam lite -- without the "Vari" part. From the specs I'd guess they use the same optical block and chips.

-- J.S.

#4 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

What are some steps i need to make the two match? What should i be aware of when going to match in the Varicam? Thanks.

To get an exact match might be a little challenge depending on your preferred settings.

The HDX (not sure if you're talking about the 900 or the 200) will have some different controls concerning gamma than the Varicam.

I would try this: (hopefully they will have these tools at the rental house that you can use for prep, even if you don't rent them for the shoot)

1. set up a DSC "chroma du monde" chart by lighting it evenly with day colored light. (I suggest the 5600k light so that it is close to the color of your monitor)
2. also set up a test "scene" with a model and some props near by lit by daylight light
3. set up a calibrated or at least the best monitor you can come up with, shaded from stray light.
4. set up both cameras side by side to shoot the dsc chart.
5. rough in a set up that you like using the HDX using the dsc chart as a guide and observing the results on a waveform/vector scope.
6. pan the HDX over to your scene, to make sure you like the contrast, gamma, saturation that you're getting on the HDX.
7. pan the two cameras on to the dsc chart. Observe the result of the HDX on the waveform / vectorscope and adjust the Varicam to match the result on the waveform/vectorscope.
8. aim the two cameras at the test scene and a/b them on the monitor to confirm the look and the match.

The difficulty will be that the HDX will have some "cinelike" gamma settings that might not be exactly duplicatable on the Varicam. The Varicam in "filmrec" mode might also not be duplicatable on the HDX. The easiest way to make an exact match will be to set the varicam to "vidrec" mode and the HDX to a video or standard type gamma setting and then use the black stretch, knee settings, black level to adjust the two cameras.

I think that you will find the book "Goodman's guide to the Varicam" very helpful when doing this and allow yourself a lot of time (probably a whole day) to prep the cameras.

Good luck!

-bruce

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Technodolly

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc