#1 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

I'd like to move from my change bag to a tent.

I thought to get the smaller size tent - 26x19x12 - but wanted to see if anyone thought this
tent was too small for 16mm mags? When I marked the dimension out on a table it seemed
large enough, but maybe the - 36x27x14 - size allows the process to feel less "cramped".

At $200 a pop I didn't want to waste money making a bad choice. I've bought change bags that were just
a little too small, so I wanted to avoid that... but I thought the dome might allow a smaller size than
what feels good with a change bag.

-Alain

#2 Dustin Pearlman

Dustin Pearlman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, CA

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:17 AM

You should be able to get by just fine with the "pup" tent, but you're safer with the standard (36x) so you have plenty of room to load a 1000' mag of 35mm just in case... The biggest down side of the larger bag is that it doesn't fit on top of a camera cart for loading very easily.

#3 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

You should be able to get by just fine with the "pup" tent, but you're safer with the standard (36x) so you have plenty of room to load a 1000' mag of 35mm just in case... The biggest down side of the larger bag is that it doesn't fit on top of a camera cart for loading very easily.

Thanks for your feedback.

My interest in the smaller tent has to do with loading in situations where I have a limited
amount of space. 26x19 is a big enough foot print for the mag, I was just curious if I'd need that extra
two inches of dome height that the standard tent provides? I thought perhaps the pup tent would
just barely allow the mag door to clear?

I never load 35mm (at least, not anymore), so I'm not too concerned about that, but I may at some
point be loading an 800' 16mm mag.

Maybe I'll ju$t get both.

-Alain

#4 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

-Alain

Get the big one. If you are cramped some day fish your changing bag out of the bottom compartment of your camera case. When using a changing bag idf something goes wrong, the more air space - the more time you have until the sweat from your hands gets everything wet. (even if you don't Normaly sweat, it tends to build if you have a problem.)

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

My interest in the smaller tent has to do with loading in situations where I have a limited
amount of space. 26x19 is a big enough foot print for the mag, I was just curious if I'd need that extra
two inches of dome height that the standard tent provides? I thought perhaps the pup tent would
just barely allow the mag door to clear?

I never load 35mm (at least, not anymore), so I'm not too concerned about that, but I may at some
point be loading an 800' 16mm mag.

-Alain

Alain,

I've been using the Harrison Pup tent for about four years now with 16mm and have loaded Bolex (400 ft), Arriflex 16S (400 ft & 200 ft), Arriflex 16M (400 ft), Arriflex 16SR (400 ft) and Aaton LTR (400 ft) magazines. Never had a problem, but I would not call it spacious.

I do like the smaller footprint of the Pup tent. But if you have the space, and the money, the bigger one would probably be more airy and a little less cramped.

-Tim

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

Alain,

I've been using the Harrison Pup tent for about four years now with 16mm and have loaded Bolex (400 ft), Arriflex 16S (400 ft & 200 ft), Arriflex 16M (400 ft), Arriflex 16SR (400 ft) and Aaton LTR (400 ft) magazines. Never had a problem, but I would not call it spacious.

I do like the smaller footprint of the Pup tent. But if you have the space, and the money, the bigger one would probably be more airy and a little less cramped.

-Tim

Get the bigger one.

#7 Alain LeTourneau

Alain LeTourneau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback...

I think I'll get the larger one - 36x27x14. If I want the pup tent, perhaps I'll spurge and get it down the
road. Or even better, find one used.

Now I'm left to ask how the 36x27x14 tent does with the XTR 800' mag? I am assuming there are no troubles
if it is said to work with 35mm 1000' loads (35BL?).

-Alain

#8 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

Haha, I always get the impression when I hear "film tent" that it's an actual tent. I've only worked with the type expressly labeled "changing BAG". I always picture a scenario where a disgruntled film loader brings in this "film changing tent", a camping trip sized tent, that's just all black and has some token functionless optional armholes in addition to light tight center main entrance (with a do not enter sign available as an accessory), and wastes a whole bunch of time pretending he's loading, keeping the whole crew waiting. THen begins some shenanigans rolling hte tent all over the set, knocking stuff over.

I think I need to build one of these for a gag and bring it to a real job interview, think they'd like it? I could advertise as "provides own changing tent" B)

#9 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

Haha, I always get the impression when I hear "film tent" that it's an actual tent. ..... a camping trip sized tent, that's just all black
I think I need to build one of these for a gag and bring it to a real job interview, think they'd like it? I could advertise as "provides own changing tent" B)

Actually, the story goes that just that was what prompted George Eastman to try and make Dry Plates.

When Young George stated taking pictures you had to coat your Glass plates, and stick them in the camera, take your shot and then develop them all while the coating was still wet. Photogrphers had to travel with a light tight tent. The dry plates, and later "film" mostly eliminated this.

I have heard tales of studios having portable darkrooms for the loaders. Althogh I have no way of knowing if this is still the case. ( a black box about the size of a PortaPotti, with a bench and door that locks from the inside.)

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

Actually, the story goes that just that was what prompted George Eastman to try and make Dry Plates.

When Young George stated taking pictures you had to coat your Glass plates, and stick them in the camera, take your shot and then develop them all while the coating was still wet. Photogrphers had to travel with a light tight tent. The dry plates, and later "film" mostly eliminated this.

I have heard tales of studios having portable darkrooms for the loaders. Althogh I have no way of knowing if this is still the case. ( a black box about the size of a PortaPotti, with a bench and door that locks from the inside.)

It's absolutely true. I've been getting into that mode pf photography myself lately. It's called wet-collodion photography from a gooey substance called collodion that made up the bulk of the emulsion. The good news is that the plates are only blue sensitive so you can work by candlelight or in a box outdoors with rubylith (very dark red plastic lighting gel-like stuff) awindows.

Check out collodionartist.com.

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Opal

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc