Werner Klipsch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

A new full-specification 1920 x 1080 HDTV camera "the size of a bar of soap"
AltaSens/Fraunhofer HDTV camera

Note this is a PDF file, which took a little time to download for no reason apparent to me!

They do not actually say what the raw resolution of the chip is, but there is a dismissive mention of other cameras that (if I understand them) produce more output pixels than there are on the chip! I will try to find out more.

They will be at NAB, booth C8828H

One wonders whether AltaSens might be the people who make the sensor for the RED.

I'm rather impressed by one feature of this camera: it can be configured to behave as a web page on a network, so you can control it with simple Web editing tools. I'm sure somebody suggested that scheme for the RED, too.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

I believe Franhoufer made the Arri-D20 and Altasens made the sensors for the Silicon Imaging cameras.

#3 Werner Klipsch

Werner Klipsch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

I believe Franhoufer made the Arri-D20 and Altasens made the sensors for the Silicon Imaging cameras.

The D-20 sensor originally was designed for the ArriScan, the D-20 was mostly a spinoff product. Since it is built on the 435 chassis, there was not too much cost, and it gave Arri presence in the HD market.

RED refuse to say who is building their Mysterium chip, you are specifically restricted from asking that question.

While Fraunhofer can make CMOS imagers for certain, they are mostly experts in software design, they produced the MP3 format for example. One thing they are very good at is getting the more complex algorithms to run on slow computer hardware, as an example, the 'brains' of the original Arrilaser was a 750MHz Pentium III!

I have been told that the new Altasens camera software can be easly upscaled for a 4K chip, and that is what may happen if the RED concept turns out to be commercially worthwhile. They have been taking notes on the RED development program at all times! However while they have little doubt they could make a similar or better product, them remain extremely doubtful they could do it for Jannard's price, unless millions of people wanted one!

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Abel Cine

CineTape

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery