• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

I want to make up some 4x4 net frames/trays and have read somewhere in the past that you can get 4x4 frames that are designed for fitting nets... I've not been able to find any yet, anybody knows who sells them and how the net fits to them...

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Usually you just get an empty 4x4 filter frame and stretch and glue the net to the edges.

#3 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

David, ... that's kind of what I thought I would end up doing... But I'm sure I've read that there are specific frames made for fitting nets - I'd presumed they snap together like the I-ring - thus making it easier to stretch a net between two parts of the frame then snapping them together... Does anyone know of a cheap supplier for 4x4 trays? - they're $90 at B&H photo...

#4 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:46 AM

David, ... that's kind of what I thought I would end up doing... But I'm sure I've read that there are specific frames made for fitting nets - I'd presumed they snap together like the I-ring - thus making it easier to stretch a net between two parts of the frame then snapping them together... Does anyone know of a cheap supplier for 4x4 trays? - they're $90 at B&H photo...

Rupe,
Lee Filters make a 100mm sq mount/frame for their poly filters. You would be able to secure the net to the frame with nail polish . Then you put this 4X4 frame into your matte box's 4X4 tray like any other glass filter. Saves time on set when you have your nets made up ahead of time. You could then make different densities of the net by how loose or tight you stretch the material when you attach it to the frame. I've done this with round drop in filters of 30.5 and 40.5 mm size.

I also recall reading about specific frames for nets, but I'm drawing a blank as to where I saw it. You can try South London Filters, however their site appears to be down right now (carey.duffy@camerafilters.co.uk). I think they may have a 2 piece I-ring type metal frame for nets.

#5 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:37 AM

Rupe,
Lee Filters make a 100mm sq mount/frame for their poly filters. You would be able to secure the net to the frame with nail polish . Then you put this 4X4 frame into your matte box's 4X4 tray like any other glass filter. Saves time on set when you have your nets made up ahead of time. You could then make different densities of the net by how loose or tight you stretch the material when you attach it to the frame. I've done this with round drop in filters of 30.5 and 40.5 mm size.

I also recall reading about specific frames for nets, but I'm drawing a blank as to where I saw it. You can try South London Filters, however their site appears to be down right now (carey.duffy@camerafilters.co.uk). I think they may have a 2 piece I-ring type metal frame for nets.

Thanks Charlie...

The Slider

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

CineLab

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery