3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Adlerstein

Dan Adlerstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

So ... having just recently joined the union and the elections for national executive officers and board here, I was just wondering what fellow local 600 members on this board think, not only of the candidates, but of the importance of the elections and of the issues. From the inundation of mail, it seems like a pretty fierce competition with no love lost between Steven Poster and Haskell Wexler.
As a newbie, just interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

Cheers. Dan.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

While I am in complete sympathy with Haskell Wexler's left-leaning ideas, and like Haskell personally... I simply want a union that actually functions, which the last administration (of which Wexler was a part) seemed to have a hard time managing with competence. For me, it's mainly a practical issue, who can run the camera union and can coordinate with the larger IATSE organization when necessary. The last administration got overly fixated on jobs going to Canada and took a detrimental antagonistic attitude towards the larger IATSE leadership.

So I'm supporting Steve Poster, who I think has helped get things back on track.

However, I'm also supporting "independent" candidate Robert Primes for 2nd VP because Bob is a consensus-builder and strongly opposed to partisanship, not that I have any problems with John Toll, who is Poster's choice for that position.

I have to admit though that the Wexler camp is extremely passionate about their causes, many of which I support, but I lack confidence in their ability to get things done. Politics is rightly the art of compromise, necessary to adequately represent the needs of a wide-ranging membership -- compromise is often a dirty word, but actually it's at the heart of a democracy, what makes it work. And I don't see the Wexler group as being very good at the give-and-take of politics; they take ideological stands basically and nothing seems to get accomplished. That's my humble opinion.

I think it's wrong for anyone to make an issue of Haskell's age or near-retirement status; I've seen him work and he's got the stamina of someone thirty years younger, so that's a non-issue in my book. And I support his efforts regarding the length of working hours on movie sets. But I don't feel that his administration would be able to work with the larger IATSE administration, and if the power of a union comes from anything, it's from strength in numbers. The Camera Union can't go it alone.

#3 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

They didn't send me the packet...trying to get someone on the phone to resend it.

I thought Haskell's film was well done and passionate and I agree with most of what he says. While he is one of the best cinematographers I know of, I wonder if he has the business acumen and even keel to work with a large organization in getting things done. I would like to see him remain on the board but I think we need strong negotiator up top.

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

I'm very frustrated at the mud slinging that's been going on. These people will be elected for the purpose of supporting us and representing us as a union, yet they're talking trash publicly to other members of the union. I've never been a big fan of politicians, and I think this election has turned into a battle of politics. It seems like the issues have taken a back seat. The optimist in me hopes that after the election this will end, but I'm not so sure it will.
There are certain positions (some of the big ones) where I don't really want to vote for ANY of the candidates, and there are other positions where I don't know anything about the people running, so this will be a tough vote for me. I'm still very undecided, and I think I'm going to be undecided right up until the moment I make my vote in a few cases.
Hopefully things will get back on track and in the next negotiations we can actually make some gains instead of giving things away. Actually, I wouldn't mind "giving away" the low budget tiered contract......

Opal

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Technodolly

Tai Audio