#1 Renzo De Renzi

Renzo De Renzi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

I'm buying a DVX100b camera and I would like to use it in order to substitute my super8 camera (canon 814 xls) and I'm planning to buy an anamorphic adapter too. So... if I set up the camera to record in 4:3 mode (1,33:1) with the anamorphic lens attached the image will be 16:9 (1,78:1) so when I'll play the resulting video on my computer in 16:9 mode the final resolution will be 964x576 ??

Another thing: the european version of the DVX100B records at 25p and the US at 24p, what would I prefer? I'm in Italy.

many thanks in advance.

Edited by Renzo De Renzi, 15 April 2007 - 08:11 AM.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:13 PM

An anamorphic lens won't change the resolution of what you capture in camera. All it's doing is putting a squeezed image onto the same 4:3 576x720 chip (PAL).

You can re-size or re-shape this image to whatever you like in the computer, but the original image resolution is still 576x720.

If you're shooting and editing in Italy, you'll want the PAL version of the camera.

#3 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 698 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

Will all NLE's properly unsqueeze an anamorphic image from a DV camera?

#4 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:23 AM

I'm buying a DVX100b camera and I would like to use it in order to substitute my super8 camera (canon 814 xls) and I'm planning to buy an anamorphic adapter too. So... if I set up the camera to record in 4:3 mode (1,33:1) with the anamorphic lens attached the image will be 16:9 (1,78:1) so when I'll play the resulting video on my computer in 16:9 mode the final resolution will be 964x576 ??

The native resolution of the DVX is 720x576, and though you will be able to use various tricks to squeeze other aspect ratios into that area, the resolution will always remain 720x576.
There is software that you can use to up-rez your SD footage, but even then, 720x576 is your starting point with the DVX.

So you may wind up with footage that has been modified to fit 964x576, but it will always suffer from that fact that it started off life as 720x576.

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

The Slider

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC