11 replies to this topic

#1 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

Once in awhile, I surf the myspace message boards, trying to correct common misperceptions and concepts, but not regularly. The other day tho, I somehow found myself under attack for pointing out how AVCHD footage is pretty much uneditable as/is. Then, when discussing new cameras, I point out that a lot of productions still utilize older equipment and do just fine. Somehow, I'm an idiot for not "knowing" that Panavision only rents video cameras now. Then they call into question my experience. I'm not a big shot, hell I've only DP'd a grand total of 2 pieces, working in the trenches for the most part, but I'm going "what the heck?"

Just can't figure people out sometimes. Why does it have to be a "I'm not good enough, so I need to cut you down to make myself look better" contest out there? We're all in this industry because we love movies, right?

*sigh*

I think I'm going to take my Super8 cam out and shoot some scenery to cheer up.

#2 Alex Wuijts

Alex Wuijts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

Why does it have to be a "I'm not good enough, so I need to cut you down to make myself look better

that's the story of internet communities in a nutshell, unfortunately. When i was in stupid discussions on the internet, i always remembered this saying: never argue with a fool, people might not see the difference. I gave up a long time ago!

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

Somehow, I'm an idiot for not "knowing" that Panavision only rents video cameras now. T

:huh: Not sure who said what above, but none of it is remotely correct. Panavision has never sold cameras. It is a rental house. And, while Genesis is being used more, there are still around a thousand or so Panaflex film cameras being rented and used around the world.

#4 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

:huh: Not sure who said what above, but none of it is remotely correct. Panavision has never sold cameras. It is a rental house. And, while Genesis is being used more, there are still around a thousand or so Panaflex film cameras being rented and used around the world.

The guy I was arguing with was claiming that. He also proclaimed that the Genesis was just the F900 with a different logo.

I've left that arguement when I saw that claim.

And the Panaflex and Panavision 35mm's are beautiful machines. The Platinum I looked at a few weeks back really impressed me, and made me realize how low-end my own equipment is. 8)

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

Somehow, I'm an idiot for not "knowing" that Panavision only rents video cameras now. Then they call into question my experience......

I think I'm going to take my Super8 cam out and shoot some scenery to cheer up.

Could it possibly be because NO NEW Beginner Super-16 cameras are being sold that also allow the beginning filmmaker to incorporate Super-8 style of special effects (thereby saving film stock) so these young filmmakers just assume film is dead?

All the youngsters see are NEW video cameras being marketed, so to them, that's all there is.

#6 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

Could it possibly be because NO NEW Beginner Super-16 cameras are being sold that also allow the beginning filmmaker to incorporate Super-8 style of special effects (thereby saving film stock) so these young filmmakers just assume film is dead?

All the youngsters see are NEW video cameras being marketed, so to them, that's all there is.

if it was a youngster, could claim that. But the guy is talking about being a veteren in the industry.

And you know I'm with you on a new camera. I had ideas for one, but with Clive shutting his doors, there went the motor I was going to use for it.

#7 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

if it was a youngster, could claim that. But the guy is talking about being a veteren in the industry.

And you know I'm with you on a new camera. I had ideas for one, but with Clive shutting his doors, there went the motor I was going to use for it.

I don't think Clive shut his doors, he opened new ones. The world's economy runs on what is being manufactured versus what already exists, so that new film camera buzz would make an impression on a small number of film students, which still translates into large camera sales when one looks at the size of the film school market. There are some new Super-16 cameras being made at very affordable prices, but that might be part of the problem, they deliver bang for the buck but then don't have an orientable viewfinder or some other basic function that a new film student would expect.

#8 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

I don't think Clive shut his doors, he opened new ones. The world's economy runs on what is being manufactured versus what already exists, so that new film camera buzz would make an impression on a small number of film students, which still translates into large camera sales when one looks at the size of the film school market. There are some new Super-16 cameras being made at very affordable prices, but that might be part of the problem, they deliver bang for the buck but then don't have an orientable viewfinder or some other basic that a new film student would expect.

Well the truth is film is better than video in my opinion and scant regard is being given to the educational needs of up and coming film makers who traditionally have learnt film making through film and video needs all those skills plus more.. The loss of people like clive tobin keeping these cameras going will mean fewer filmmakers really understanding the craft again my opinion.

#9 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

I agree! Also the labs that are closing does not help the learning curve either.

#10 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

"trying to correct common misperceptions and concepts"

"I'm not good enough, so I need to cut you down to make myself look better"

Unfortunately these are often muddled up on the net ...

I came here to learn - but sometimes finding myself just answering the same ol' (simple) queries over and over (Bolex exposure, Bolex super16, Bolex this, bolex that...) - maybe it makes me feel good :rolleyes: - fact is I should be shutting up and reading the lighting threads

#11 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Nick,

I cant tell you how many times I started to respond to a post and just simply closed the window. There are a lot of jackasses out there.

Soon you start to learn whose voice you can trust and cannot trust. There is a lot of noise out there.

Sometimes it is like a street fight. It is smarter to walk away then let some opinionated jerk tell you something that you know is wrong or may sound untrue.

But clearly anyone thinking Panavision only rents video cameras, is not the industry professional he or she claims to be. For example I just finished a six month movie with Will Smith and we were shooting with Panavision and film. Andrew Lesnie from The Lord of the Rings and King Kong was the cinematographer.

Best

Tim

#12 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

Well the truth is film is better than video in my opinion and scant regard is being given to the educational needs of up and coming film makers who traditionally have learnt film making through film and video needs all those skills plus more.. The loss of people like clive tobin keeping these cameras going will mean fewer filmmakers really understanding the craft again my opinion.

Better yes, but best, is new stuff because it's more difficult to market the tried and true than something new. (I didn't mean to rhyme, honest).

By the way, we are in the age where both video and film are very good, It's just that whomever can release a low cost new thing, wins.

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

CineTape