Photo

Market for super 8 larger than 70mm market?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:18 AM

Seeing a film projected in 70mm is a rare treat these days. Of course occasionally, at select cinemas, you can see a new print of a classic film like '2001' or 'Lawrence of Arabia.' However, new productions being shot on 65mm film are extremely rare. 'Baraka' is one of the very few 70mm films of recent times. One of the reasons for the scarcity of this format in the modern day is the lack of 70mm projectors at most cinemas.

I was thinking recently - even though the super 8 market itself is extremely tiny, I wonder if there are more people shooting super 8 than 65mm. When you consider the thousands of people around the world who shoot super 8 each year and the small number of 70mm productions that were produced over the last two decades, it seems likely that the super 8 market is larger...unless someone can prove me wrong.

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

I would tend to agree.

#3 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

I would say that the reason that so few films are shot in 65 is not due to the lack or projectors but rather the cost of the stock.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

Well, the lack of theatrical venues doesn't help -- it's hard to convince a director to shoot in 65mm, only to tell him that maybe one theater in LA and one in NYC might show it in 70mm, and the 2000 other theaters will show it in a 35mm reduction.

#5 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

Show me a cinema with a Super8 projector ...

I'm interested > whats the use of making a comparison of markets ?

#6 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:47 AM

"I'm interested > whats the use of making a comparison of markets ?"

Well super 8 is often referred to as a tiny market whose future is uncertain. Indeed, it's existance seems to be hanging by a thread and for decades, people have been predicting whenabouts the format will meet it's demise. Despite all this, what I find quite remarkable is that there are probably more people shooting this supposed 'amateur / home movie' format than people shooting a large guage professional format that was used to create some of the biggest epic movies in cinema's history.

Oh well - that's just me thinking out loud.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:03 AM

It's not the number of people shooting that counts, its the volume in sales that matter and the amount of profit generated. A couple of 15-perf 65mm IMAX shoots probably generates more money for Kodak than hundreds of Super-8 shoots. Film is basically priced by real estate, and you use up a lot more real estate with 65mm than with Super-8.

#8 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

If you think about it though, even in the glory days of both formats the market for super8 was much bigger (pre home video). Even though there were plenty productions and more money made from 65mm, I'm almost positive Kodak (or Fuji, or whatever) had a much larger market to cater to with super8 film stocks.

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post