#1 Timothy Gassen

Timothy Gassen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hi all,

I'm finishing a new director's reel -- and like many items related to attracting representation and producers -- I'm getting a really wide range of opinions from other professionals on what makes an effective director's reel.

There aren't any real right or wrong answers -- as long as it gets attention and meetings -- but what do you (other directors or producers) think makes or breaks a director's reel?

Right now my new DVD reel is 6:30, with short segments of dramatic scenes and some title sequence shots; with two full scenes and a 9 minute short included as separate clips just in case more is wanted. I think I'll cut it down below 5 minutes -- but it's so hard to get anyone to look at anything, so who knows if it matters?

If anyone has links to what they think are good director's reels, please post them, too. Thanks!

Timothy Gassen

#2 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student
  • London, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Hi all,

I'm finishing a new director's reel -- and like many items related to attracting representation and producers -- I'm getting a really wide range of opinions from other professionals on what makes an effective director's reel.

There aren't any real right or wrong answers -- as long as it gets attention and meetings -- but what do you (other directors or producers) think makes or breaks a director's reel?

Right now my new DVD reel is 6:30, with short segments of dramatic scenes and some title sequence shots; with two full scenes and a 9 minute short included as separate clips just in case more is wanted. I think I'll cut it down below 5 minutes -- but it's so hard to get anyone to look at anything, so who knows if it matters?

If anyone has links to what they think are good director's reels, please post them, too. Thanks!

Timothy Gassen

One idea that you were hinting on is shortening your reel. I think that's crucial, since you leave the veiwer WANTING more rather than being fully satisfied in seeing what you can do. Only keep your best shots/titles in; there's no need for anything "average" in it, since it only takes away from the rest of your reel.

One other thing is, perhaps, try to get as wide a variety of shot styles, genres, and action (dialogue, action, indoors, otudoors, etc.) in order to showcase your ability at all kinds of shots and styles.

Hope that helps! And good luck B)

Dan Goldberg..

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post