Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

Anyone using these lenses?
Is there a real appreciable difference in sharpness and contrast as compared to Nikon AIS lenses?

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

Is there a real appreciable difference in sharpness and contrast as compared to Nikon AIS lenses?

Good question I would like to know as well, I would assume in some cases the Zeiss lenses would be faster/sharper, etc. Anyone know what lenses are available?

-Rob-

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

I bought one of the Zeiss/Nikon mount 85mm f1.4 lenses. Wasn't happy with the sharpness or contrast. It was definitely sharper in the center than the Nikon 85mm f1.8 autofocus lens, but it really dropped off toward the corners. And under certain lighting conditions it seemed to be higher contrast than the Nikon listed above, but in other lighting conditions it seemed to be lower contrast.

Now I bought this lens for still camera use, not cine camera use. And I think I may be spoiled because I used a Canon 85mm 1.2 L FD lens for years and I was really comparing the Zeiss lens to the Canon, and the Zeiss lens lost out by a large margin.

I was able to get my money back on the lens (as I only had it for a few days to test), and I have not tried any of the other lenses in the series. One thing to keep in mind is the Zeiss/Nikon mount lenses are not made in the German Zeiss factory, they are made in the orient. Some say that does not matter, I am not sure.

Hope that helps,
-tim

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Visual Products