#1 russella

russella

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

I have an M42 lens mount k3. The lens has a fair amount of play on it when I adjust either the aperture or the focus ring which doesn't feel normal. I would say that if I marked the lens and the camera, the marks would be 2mm out of line if I twist the lens.
The lens is screwed really tightly into the M42 mount so I know thats not the cause.
It appears that the three tiny grub screws just behind the aperture ring may be loose. The grub screw in the shoulder support was loose too (some play & now it is OK after I tightened it up). This made me wonder that as this camera is 15 years old and it has never been used do you think the grub screws in the lens have worked their way loose?
I just don't want to dive in with my screw driver, tighten the screws and then discover that I have adjusted a something inside the lens that didn't need adjusting.
Should I tighten them or is that the worst thing I could possibly do?

Also, the wind on my camera is super stiff (hurts fingers!) and fully wound I only get around 16-19 seconds of shooting time at 24fps. Will the spring loosen up over time and be easier to wind and give me a longer shooting time nearer the 25 seconds that it "should" be?

Any advice is really appreciated.

#2 Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Director
  • Mexico DF

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hi!
the best thing you cand do is send your post to Olex.
geocities.com/russiancamera

in this web is his mail.
bye!!
Treegan

I have an M42 lens mount k3. The lens has a fair amount of play on it when I adjust either the aperture or the focus ring which doesn't feel normal. I would say that if I marked the lens and the camera, the marks would be 2mm out of line if I twist the lens.
The lens is screwed really tightly into the M42 mount so I know thats not the cause.
It appears that the three tiny grub screws just behind the aperture ring may be loose. The grub screw in the shoulder support was loose too (some play & now it is OK after I tightened it up). This made me wonder that as this camera is 15 years old and it has never been used do you think the grub screws in the lens have worked their way loose?
I just don't want to dive in with my screw driver, tighten the screws and then discover that I have adjusted a something inside the lens that didn't need adjusting.

Also, the wind on my camera is super stiff (hurts fingers!) and fully wound I only get around 16-19 seconds of shooting time at 24fps. Will the spring loosen up over time and be easier to wind and give me a longer shooting time nearer the 25 seconds that it "should" be?

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

The camera and lens need service, cleaning, oiling and adjusting.
Possible, the zoom lens have losted a small screws or don't fix of parts of lens inside of body.

About spring, the time of work of full loaded spring 22..28 sec at 24 fps.
You can install of special additional lever for load of spring with less
effort.
Other idea - to use cine camera with electrical motor.
Yes, of course, you can send me camera for service, but, the shipping cost and service of camera will have price, possible, to buy of other K-3 camera can be better for you.
If you will buy of camera from russian, ukrainian, belarus sellers, you can ask of seller, to send to me for service, adjust and test.

Visual Products

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Abel Cine