3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Bennett

Nick Bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

I've done a search about this but I can't seem to guage opinion as to if using a light meter with a DSLR is an accurate enough way to evaluate what the negative will look like, I understand that the contrast range won't be as great and I've read that the ISO ratings may be unreliable on digital cameras but has anyone had good results using this technique?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

I've done a search about this but I can't seem to guage opinion as to if using a light meter with a DSLR is an accurate enough way to evaluate what the negative will look like, I understand that the contrast range won't be as great and I've read that the ISO ratings may be unreliable on digital cameras but has anyone had good results using this technique?

Hi,

Last week the agency wanted some still frames for print of the commercial I was shooting on film. I shot the stills on my Nikon D70 using the same exposure I was using for the 35mm film. So yes it would work well!

Stephen

#3 Nick Bennett

Nick Bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reply Stephen, coming from a mainly television background I'm relatively inexperienced using film and it would provide a bit more confidence if I'm able to previz to a certain extent.

Given that I plan to shoot on 50D at 25 fps and my DSLR's ISO rating only goes down 100 what would be the correct shutter speed to use on the DSLR?

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the reply Stephen, coming from a mainly television background I'm relatively inexperienced using film and it would provide a bit more confidence if I'm able to previz to a certain extent.

Given that I plan to shoot on 50D at 25 fps and my DSLR's ISO rating only goes down 100 what would be the correct shutter speed to use on the DSLR?

Hi,

Set the exposure to 1/100 second, then the stop will match.

Stephen

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Abel Cine

CineTape

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport