#1 Dan McCormick

Dan McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

Hi

I'm about to shoot a short student film, set on a ferry, and in the surrounding bay. I am going to shoot on 50D 7201, and the forecast is for sun (which is what I am hoping).

None of my lecturers have mentioned UV filters, and everything I have seen shot in similar conditions by others on my course have come out alright without using a UV filter.

But I keep reading that film doesn't necessarily cope well with UV light, particularly around water and on sunny days. (I don't have the money to shoot tests)

If anyone could tell me what would be the worst that could happen without a UV filter, and if I should be able to get away without one I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Dan McCormick

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Glass filters have some degree of UV cancellation, so even if you were using ND's or Polas, you might have enough UV filtering right there. Using a UV filter makes more sense if you are at high altitudes shooting landscape shots with a certain amount of aerial haze to consider, or a city skyline shot, otherwise, I tend not to worry about it. Glass filters create their own problems, especially when shooting into backlit water, so a UV filter may not be worth the bother.

If you were shooting tungsten stock, the 85B filter has a UV correction built-in.

Modern color negative stocks are less sensitive to fogging from UV.

#3 Dan McCormick

Dan McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

Great, I won't worry about the UV filter then, and I think I am going to be using a pola as well.

Thanks for the help

Dan McCormick

#4 Patrick Lavalley

Patrick Lavalley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

I usually try to shoot without a UV as well. The times that I do shoot with are in the situations that David mentioned, as well as those times when I want a little extra protection, better to replace an inexpensive UV filter than a spendy lens.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC