#1 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

I am shooting soon in a very old industrial space.
After the shoot the place will be completely redone so we can pretty much do what we want.
The top floor has an A frame roof ceiling in translucid rippled plastic that is yellowed quite a bit.
Roof access is not possible and I want to "orange it" down with some transparent orange colour to warm up the daylight coming through it. Gels are out because we will see it in wide shots.
Any suggestions as to a transparent paint that could be applied to give the equivqlent of a 1/2 CTO cast to this plastic?

#2 Matt Workman

Matt Workman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

Would it be an option to shoot with all Daylight Sources to get an overall neutral look and then add the 1/2 CTO look in DI?

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:59 AM

I don't want to shoot with daylight sources because of budget and matching issues with other footage shot in other areas.
Also I want to puncture some holes in this roof to get deliberate blue shafts of light in the background (uncorrected daylight on tungsten stock)

#4 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:07 AM

I don't want to shoot with daylight sources because of budget and matching issues with other footage shot in other areas.
Also I want to puncture some holes in this roof to get deliberate blue shafts of light in the background (uncorrected daylight on tungsten stock)

might still get those shafts blue by shooting with daylight sources and adding full CTB just to the holes.

I thought 'stained glass'; looked a little; found this: http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/71/ but there's no gurantee what the color temperature will be...applying it to a slanted or upright surface might also prove problematic.

Edited by David Sweetman, 22 April 2007 - 02:07 AM.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:59 AM

I was lookin' at Rosco's website and found this: http://www.rosco.com...ersaturated.asp

It's supposed to show up quite translucent, like a filter I guess. The "Leather Lake" color looks closest to CTO, of course it also depends on how much you dillute it and how thick the painted layers are.

I'd call up Rosco and find out what they think about its use as a filter.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine