Music video I directed/DP'd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Click the link- obviously compressed, I'll get a higher quality one available when it comes:

Tech specs/info

JVC HDV in minidv mode
25P
Total budget for everything (including post) approx £300
net behind the lens
filmed at a pub in coventry (literally, behind the foil is the bar)!

I originally wanted the DVX100b (couldn't due to availability reasons), which OWNS the JVC in terms of 25P and image options/menus- the JVC however, credit where it's due, allows you to stick a net BEHIND the lens, thus all of the paranoid front net sillyness/need to shoot longer end of the zoom is avoided.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

Good use of tin foil -- I like it when people find a creative use for video's clippy nature rather than fight it.

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

Beautiful work.

Did you use any gels for the lighting, I noticed the tinfoil shots had a somewhat blue colour cast.

#4 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:00 AM

No money for gels- all camera white balance using coloured card (yellow for the blue stuff, blue for the yellow stuff).

Thanks for the kind comments!

#5 Carlos_Martinez

Carlos_Martinez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:54 AM

looks very early metallica work "One" im not to keen on the white balances but it got the job done.
For some reason the wide shots seem really off to me at least

#6 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:00 AM

net behind the lens

Was that the 110U? How did you get the net behind the lens? I tried that on a project last year and there was no room back there! Seemed like the rear element was right up on the chip.

#7 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:16 AM

Rubber band wrapped around a few times. ;)

looks very early metallica work "One" im not to keen on the white balances but it got the job done.
For some reason the wide shots seem really off to me at least

Yeah, I wasn't happy with them when we were making it- simply didn't have enough space to frame for 16:9, not enough distance between the actors to the wall (which made lighting hard). Like I said, it was a pretty tiny and narrow pub interior, if I had to do again I would have gone for a more vertical shooting format at least (good luck Tim)! Luckily I had a really good editor (who insisted the wides were no good and used them delicately). :) I was also using a special wide angle diopter which I'd never used before and kept on the whole time (hey experiment!), helped getting in tight for handheld. The camera really can't handle contrast the way the dvx100b can either.

The other point I'd like to make is that I shot and directed, which I think is highly counterproductive. You don't have time to concentrate on either disciplines properly. All the DPs I knew were busy, meaning I grudgingly had to shoot it myself. Completely impossible to concentrate on getting all the high contrast net work done and get a decent, raw, undiluted "live" performance from the band. If myself as DP was satisfied with a shot technically, myself as director wasn't really concentrating on the performances, so there's a built in line of compromise for which I feel it suffered. I don't care what anyone says, you need a DP if you want to direct well (or at least a gaffer/AC/operator who will run that side of the show for you and not get the credit as common knowledge does suggest ;) ). Again, masses of credit to the editor Marc Baleiza.

Still, even though I'm naturally underwhelmed for £300 I can't complain!

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Opal

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc