4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Waide

Ken Waide
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

Hello, I have a Sony Digital 8 HandyCam, and I was wondering how I would go about getting the film onto my computer.

Would I need some sort of cable? Software?

#2 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hello, I have a Sony Digital 8 HandyCam, and I was wondering how I would go about getting the film onto my computer.

Would I need some sort of cable? Software?

Have you captured any other video to your computer before? Do you have a particular editing
program?

When I capture footage from tape to computer I do so with a Firewire 1394 cable connected
from the deck (or camera in VCR mode) to the computer. Does your computer have a
Firewire
connection and does your camera? If your camera does not, and you don't have a Digital 8
deck that does (I don't know if one exists) then perhaps you could dub your Digital 8 tape to
Mini-DV. Many people have Mini-DV cameras for home movies so perhaps you could borrow
a friend or neighbor's.

Even many inexpensive Mini-DV cameras have Firewire and will do a perfectly good
job of playing back your footage for capture.

Does your school have a television production
class or is there a local cable access station in your town or city? You might be able to go to
those places for help.

You also could find the local video camera vendor and go there and also the Apple stores
have a Genius Bar at which you can ask them questions for 5 or 10 minutes. Good luck.

#3 Ken Waide

Ken Waide
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

Have you captured any other video to your computer before? Do you have a particular editing
program?

When I capture footage from tape to computer I do so with a Firewire 1394 cable connected
from the deck (or camera in VCR mode) to the computer. Does your computer have a
Firewire
connection and does your camera? If your camera does not, and you don't have a Digital 8
deck that does (I don't know if one exists) then perhaps you could dub your Digital 8 tape to
Mini-DV. Many people have Mini-DV cameras for home movies so perhaps you could borrow
a friend or neighbor's.

Even many inexpensive Mini-DV cameras have Firewire and will do a perfectly good
job of playing back your footage for capture.

Does your school have a television production
class or is there a local cable access station in your town or city? You might be able to go to
those places for help.

You also could find the local video camera vendor and go there and also the Apple stores
have a Genius Bar at which you can ask them questions for 5 or 10 minutes. Good luck.

My camera has a DV slot, and I think that my laptop (HP Pavilion Entertainment PC) does. Theres a slot in the side of it that looks just like the DV. Once I hook the two up, what kind of software would I need to capture?

#4 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

My camera has a DV slot, and I think that my laptop (HP Pavilion Entertainment PC) does. Theres a slot in the side of it that looks just like the DV. Once I hook the two up, what kind of software would I need to capture?

First of all, be sure and don't force anything. The Firewire connection from a Mini-DV camera is
smaller than the connection on a computer or external hard drive. I've used Macs for a long time
and don't know that PC but you could check with the manufacturer or a computer store.

The capture feature is usually in an editing program. Do you have an editing program? If not,
check with some PC users about what they use. Apple makes Final Cut Express, which is a
terrific program and extremely affordable. Go to an Apple store and they can show it to you
on one of the computers in the store and if you like it, I believe that there's a version available
for
P.C.s although you might want to bring the specs on your computer or simply bring your laptop
and they can probably tell you. I know that many P.C. people use Vegas but I have no
experience
with that. I can tell you that Final Cut Express HD is pretty cool and costs $299.00 which is a deal
plus if you're a student you should be able to get a significant discount.

Do you know how to edit? It takes a while to develop your aesthetic skills but if you did get
Final Cut Express you could also get ProCare which for $99.00 gives you a one-hour lesson
one on one every week for a year
which would certainly teach you the mechanics of
capturing and editing.

I'm not an Apple sales person whatsoever; that's my experience. If any P.C. people can chime
in, maybe they'll have other answers for you.

Do some research and see if you can get any of this for free from your school or local cable
access station.

#5 Ken Waide

Ken Waide
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

First of all, be sure and don't force anything. The Firewire connection from a Mini-DV camera is
smaller than the connection on a computer or external hard drive. I've used Macs for a long time
and don't know that PC but you could check with the manufacturer or a computer store.

The capture feature is usually in an editing program. Do you have an editing program? If not,
check with some PC users about what they use. Apple makes Final Cut Express, which is a
terrific program and extremely affordable. Go to an Apple store and they can show it to you
on one of the computers in the store and if you like it, I believe that there's a version available
for
P.C.s although you might want to bring the specs on your computer or simply bring your laptop
and they can probably tell you. I know that many P.C. people use Vegas but I have no
experience
with that. I can tell you that Final Cut Express HD is pretty cool and costs $299.00 which is a deal
plus if you're a student you should be able to get a significant discount.

Do you know how to edit? It takes a while to develop your aesthetic skills but if you did get
Final Cut Express you could also get ProCare which for $99.00 gives you a one-hour lesson
one on one every week for a year
which would certainly teach you the mechanics of
capturing and editing.
I'm not an Apple sales person whatsoever; that's my experience. If any P.C. people can chime
in, maybe they'll have other answers for you.

Do some research and see if you can get any of this for free from your school or local cable
access station.

Alright thanks, I'll check some of the stuff out and see if I can find any demo's.
I'm actually a highschool student right now, a junior, and I've done editing on a Casablanca-Prestige machine thing for the school's Broadcasting class.

Abel Cine

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc